Going to college? The BigFuture Scholarship could be just the thing for you. Presented by the College Board, this scholarship isn’t just about financial aid; it’s a roadmap to success.
In this guide, we’ll unravel all the details about the scholarship, from requirements to application details. So, without further ado, let’s get to it.
What is the BigFuture Scholarship?
The BigFuture Scholarship, presented by the College Board, is an exciting opportunity for high school sophomores as of December 5, 2022.
Designed to empower eligible students on their journey toward higher education, this scholarship program encourages participants to embark on a transformative career and college planning adventure throughout their sophomore, junior, and senior years.
To qualify, students must diligently undertake six pivotal steps:
- Start Your Career List
- Build Your College List
- Start Your Scholarship List
- Strengthen Your College List
- Complete the FAFSA
- Apply to Colleges
With each step completed, students unlock eligibility for two scholarships linked to that specific milestone.
All in all, the BigFuture Scholarship not only provides financial aid but also cultivates a proactive approach to career and college planning. It fosters a bright future for these ambitious sophomores.
On another note, the College Board is a non-profit organization in the United States that was established in 1900. Its mission is to expand access to higher education and promote excellence and equity in education.
In particular, the organization is well-known for developing and administering standardized tests widely used in the college admissions process.
For those navigating the journey of education as Lower Income Students, the chance to secure a $500 scholarship is a monthly possibility from January 2023 to February 2025.
What makes this prospect even exciting is that winning isn’t a one-time affair; the door to multiple $500 scholarships swings open for those who stand out on their educational path.
For those dreaming big and aiming high, the pinnacle awaits with the $40,000 scholarship. A life-changing opportunity unfolds every two months from January 2023 to January 2025. It offers a substantial reward to one exceptional student.
The generosity doesn’t stop there. An additional winner, also every two months from February 2023 to February 2025, ensures that dreams are not only recognized but handsomely rewarded.
The BigFuture Scholarship Requirements
Meet these requirements for the BigFuture Scholarship to qualify for an award:
- School Attendance: Open to students attending public, private, or home schools in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, or any other U.S. territories and possessions. U.S. Citizens or residents attending a U.S. Department of Defense Education Activity school outside the United States and U.S. territories are also eligible.
- Grade Level: As of December 1, 2022, eligible students must be sophomores in high school, representing their third year of secondary education.
- College Board Account: Applicants must possess a College Board online account, an essential requirement for participation.
Additionally, lower income students are defined as those meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Eligible for a fee waiver from the College Board
- Attending a school in a high-poverty school district (where 75% or more of students receive free or reduced-price lunch, as defined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture)
- Having a family Adjusted Gross Income of $60,000 or less
Lower income students will have exclusive opportunities for separate and additional drawings.
How to Apply for the BigFuture Scholarship?
Start your BigFuture Scholarship application with these simple steps:
- Create or link your College Board account at bigfuture.collegeboard.org.
- Dive into activities that not only enhance your preparation for college but also open doors to scholarship drawings:
- Start a Career List: Between December 5, 2022, and February 28, 2025, initiate a career list on BigFuture with at least three saved careers. Monthly drawing eligibility closes on the last day of each month from January 31, 2023, to February 28, 2025.
- Build Your College List: Between December 5, 2022, and June 30, 2024, construct a college list on BigFuture with a minimum of six schools. Monthly drawing eligibility concludes on the last day of each month from January 31, 2022, to June 30, 2024.
- Start Your Scholarship List: Between July 1, 2024, and February 28, 2025, save three or more scholarships on BigFuture. Monthly drawing eligibility wraps up on the last day of each month from July 31, 2024, to February 28, 2025.
- Strengthen Your College List: Between July 1, 2024, and October 31, 2024, create or edit a college list on BigFuture with at least one “safety,” two “match,” and three “reach” colleges. Save your list by the last day of each month from July 31, 2024, to October 31, 2024.
- Complete the FAFSA: Between October 1, 2024, and February 28, 2025, with parental or legal guardian assistance if needed, submit the FAFSA. Monthly drawing eligibility concludes on the last day of each month from October 31, 2024, to February 28, 2025.
- Apply to Colleges: Between October 1, 2024, and February 28, 2025, apply to a minimum of two colleges. Drawing eligibility ends on February 28, 2025.
The BigFuture Scholarship Deadline
The deadline for the $40,000 BigFuture Scholarship is swiftly approaching on November 30, 2023. Within 15 business days of each qualifying month’s end, the College Board will conduct a random drawing to select potential winners from the pool of eligible entries.
Finally, within 30 business days of the drawing, the chosen BigFuture Scholarship winners will receive a notification by email.
Have questions or need guidance on your application journey? Reach out to the dedicated support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your queries matter, and assistance is just an email away.
Prefer a more direct connection? Give them a call at 1-844-298-3554. Whether it’s clarifications or encouragement you seek, these contact details are your pathway to expert assistance. They ensure your scholarship is as smooth and rewarding as possible.
Visit bigfuture.collegeboard.org today and start your application! Here, a wealth of resources awaits, guiding you through career and college planning. From scholarship details to invaluable tools, this website is your compass for success.
The BigFuture Scholarship: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is the scholarship renewable?
No, the $500 scholarships are one-time awards, and winners need to claim their dollars by specific dates: October 31, 2024, for the class of 2023, October 31, 2025, for the class of 2024, and October 31, 2026, for the class of 2025.
On the other hand, the $40,000 scholarships are disbursed in installments, tailored for the student’s benefit. It’s important to note that these larger awards are specifically for undergraduate studies. Winners must use them within six years after high school graduation.
What will I be able to use the scholarship for?
The purpose of the scholarship is to assist students in meeting the various costs associated with attending college. If you’re lucky enough to be a winner, you can use the scholarship to cover essential expenses such as tuition, fees, books, and other educational costs.
College Board aims to empower recipients by providing flexibility. Therefore, their partner, Scholarship America, will work with you to allocate the funds in a way that best meets your individual needs.
Do I have to take a PSAT-related test or the SAT to participate in the scholarship?
No, you don’t need to take a PSAT-related test or the SAT to participate in the BigFuture Scholarship. The program is inclusive, welcoming all students, even those who haven’t taken a College Board assessment.
Interestingly, none of the six crucial steps in the scholarship application require sitting for an SAT assessment. While the PSAT step aids in preparing students for test day, it’s not a prerequisite for participation.
If I win the scholarship, how do I get the money?
Winners can expect the checks to arrive during the summer after their senior year of high school. For those fortunate enough to secure the $40,000 scholarship, the generosity extends over time, with the award distributed in installments throughout their undergraduate studies.