Since 2000, the Burger King Scholarship program, founded in honor of Burger King co-founder James “Jim” W McLamore, has awarded $35 million in scholarships to more than 33,000 high school graduates, Burger King workers and their families throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. The Foundation alone awarded $3.7 million to more than 3,400 North American students in 2018.
To find out what the Burger King Scholarship scheme looks like and what requirements are needed to apply, consider the following collection of frequently asked questions to answer your curiosity.
Is Burger King Scholarship need-based?
Yes, it is. Students in school and on the job must uphold good behavior and conduct, and they must show financial necessity. Students are not expected to be working at a Burger King restaurant to apply for a scholarship. But employees of Burger King may be eligible.
Is the Burger King Scholarship renewable?
The Burger King Scholarship Awards are not renewable; however, winners of $1,000 Employee-Based Track (as specified in the eligibility requirements) may reapply to the program any year they meet the eligibility criteria. Such winners will receive up to four annual awards (up to $4,000) at most.
Is the Burger King Scholarship only for employees?
No, it is not. The Burger King Scholarship is designed for graduates in high school, staff, employers or their partner planning to join a college for undergraduate study.
Is a home-school student eligible to apply for the scholarship program?
Yes, as long as you meet the criteria of the program.
How many people get the Burger King Scholarship?
Until now, the Burger King Scholars Program has given more than $35 million in scholarships to over 33,000 students. In Burger King Scholarship, the number of offers is about three in each academic year.
Who is eligible to apply?
All seniors in high school and all restaurants, corporate and field staff of Burger King, their families and children in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico are allowed to apply.
What are the requirements to apply for the scholarship for high school students?
The scholarship is open to all students who are admitted to high school. However, you’ll have to fulfill the following conditions to apply for this Burger King Scholarship:
- Be a resident of the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico;
- Be a senior high school graduate (for the United States and Puerto Rico), graduate from grade 12 (for Canada), or graduate from home school education in the United States, Puerto Rico or Canada;
- Provide a composite grade point average of 2.5 or more on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent;
- Intend to study full-time, without delay, in a two- or four-year accredited college, university or vocational-technical school in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico for the entire academic year.
What are the requirements to apply for the scholarship for Burger King employees?
To apply as an employee, spouse or domestic partner of employees for the Burger King Scholars Program and dependent children of employees seeking a formal post-secondary education must follow the requirements set out below.
You must be:
- Live in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico;
- A Burger King Company employee or a participating Burger King franchisee (Franchisees); or
- A spouse (unless lawfully separated) or domestic partner of a Burger King Corporation or Franchisees; or
- A dependent child of an employee of Burger King Corporation or Franchisees (Designated Employer); and
- Graduating seniors from high school (for both the U.S. and Puerto Rico), or may have earned a GED. You can also graduate from grade 12 (Canada) or graduate from U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada home school education. You may also be recent university graduates or college students in the United States, Puerto Rico or Canada;
- Gain, on a 4.0 scale or equivalent, a composite grade point average of 2.5 or greater;
- Prepare to enroll in a two or four year accredited college, university or vocational-technical school in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico for the 2020-2021 academic year.
To apply as an employee and spouse or domestic partner of employees seeking an enrichment plan for the Burger King Scholars Program you must follow the conditions below.
You must be:
- Based in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico, eligible for the Burger King Scholarships;
- An employee of Burger King Corporation or a participating Burger King franchisee (Franchisees); or
- A spouse (unless legally separated) or domestic partner of an employee of Burger King Corporation or Franchisee (Designated Employer); and
- Seek to participate in GED, specialization, credential or other classes that promote schooling less than part-time or intermittently. Remember, though, whether in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico, you will take the class or course at an approved college.
What documents must be prepared to apply?
To complete your application for a Burger King Scholarship in any of more of the three sections, you would need to submit certain paperwork to the Foundation.
Here are the documents you may need to submit:
- You need to submit an actual, full senior high school or college grade transcript with your submission. Grade reports have not been acknowledged.
- Unofficial or on online transcripts will display the name of the student, the name of the school, the interest and the credit hours for each class and the length of the course.
- An overview of one’s work experiences and community and school engagement programs.
- Burger King Employee details should the application always be connected to a staff member.
- Financial descriptions of your family, if needed.
What are the selection criteria?
The Burger King McLamore Foundation will select applicants based on:
- Academic achievements
- Participation in school and community activities
- Length of employment (enrichment awards only)
- Work experience (James W. McLamore “WHOPPER” Scholarship only)
- Financial information (James W. McLamore “WHOPPER” Scholarship only)
How to apply for the scholarship?
- Start your Burger King Scholarship application by clicking on the Create an Account link (https://burgerking.scholarsapply.org/register.php). To do so, you would need to create a username and password for a student account to sign. The foundation will then inform you through an e-mail confirmation process before establishing an account for you. In the meantime, use a correct email address. The final step in creating the account is to complete the details about the scholarship that Burger King demands in the student profile.
- You’ll have access to the application after you successfully created your student account and submitted your profile information. You will be able to leave the site during the verification process by clicking on the links Sign Out or Save and Sign Out found at the website. To log in to continue your application for a Burger King scholarship, you must enter your username and password that you received while applying for a student account.
- Make sure you review your submission thoroughly before submitting. The McLamore Foundation advises that you print a hard copy of your submission for your documents to keep. Don’t submit printed copies of the application online to Scholarship America or the Burger King McLamore Foundation, however.
- Furthermore, please ensure that all application pages with specified fields are completed in the format defined to send the request. When entering your info, use the Standard capitalization (i.e., Jill Smith, 101 Main Street, New York, NY). Remember that after you apply your application for a Burger King Scholarship, you will not be allowed to do any further revision.
Is there a deadline for submitting applications?
Yes, the deadline period for the next scholarship program is October 15 to December 15. Unfinished applications won’t be reviewed. Every year after December 15, students should have access to their site for viewing their application, obtaining status notifications and reviewing their profile records, but no changes or amendments may be made to the applications. Transcripts must be mailed to Scholarship Management Services by December 15, where necessary and not submitted prior to submission.
How will I know that my application has been received?
An email confirming receipt of the submission shall be submitted within 24 hours. When registered, the acknowledgment is sent to the email address given. If you do not receive an acknowledgment within 24 hours, please contact Scholarship Management Services by email at email@example.com or call 507.931.8340.
Will the scholarship be taxable?
The Burger King Scholarship will generally not be deductible so long as it is used for qualified costs such as tuition, books, and fees. You will also work with your tax attorney to decide whether it is taxable under your circumstances.
How and when will the applicant receive notification?
In May of the next year all candidates for the Burger Scholars Program will receive a notice by email. As well, recipients will receive official notice through U.S. mail.