There are many reasons to why international students come to the United Kingdom to study. Firstly, there are numerous world-class universities in this country. They have reputations that make your certificate degree being recognized by employers, universities, and governments. Their typical one-year master programs are challenging and intensive, but at the same time, the UK universities provide a supportive environment for their students to develop skills and knowledge in addition to the academic skills.
As the country in which the English language has its origin, English speaking environment will surely help international students a lot during their period of living in a foreign country. Moreover, UK is considered as one of the most diversified countries in the world. This unique feature will also be found in its higher education institutions which will make you get a broader knowledge of different cultures around the world.
But, living in the United Kingdom is indeed expensive. That includes the amount you need to pay for tuition fees if you were enrolled in one of those prestigious universities in the UK. However, there are many scholarships available for international students that you may apply. One of the most popular ones is Chevening Scholarship.
Chevening is the UK Government’s award scheme funded by the by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organizations. The award is for international students and is aimed at developing global leaders. There are two types of the award provided by Chevening – Chevening Scholarship and Chevening Fellowship.
The selection process is run and the candidates are chosen personally by the British embassies and their high commissions all around the world. This scholarship offers you big opportunity to study in one of the prestigious institutions in the UK, to make a connection extensively and experience the culture of UK during your study, and build a long-lasting relationship with the UK once you graduate.
Application Guidelines and Requirements
- Candidates must be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country, being the upper second-class 2:1 honors degree in undergraduate study and have at least 2 years of experience.
- Meet the criteria of the English language requirement. The overall score of IELTS is 6.5 with a minimum score in each component of listening 5,5; reading 5,5; speaking 5,5, and writing 5.5. As for TOEFL iBT, you have to get at least 79 for the overall score with a minimum score in each component of listening 17; reading 18; speaking 20, and writing 17.
- You have to choose three courses and must get an unconditional offer from one of your chosen universities or courses at the same institution. To increase the likelihood that you will be accepted by one of them, it is better to choose the similar courses in three different universities. The courses you may choose must have the following requirements: a full-time taught-master degree course, start in the autumn term and lead to a master degree qualification.
- You need to be unconditionally accepted by one of the courses in order to apply for Chevening Scholarship. A conditional offer is allowed if the outstanding condition is due to financial problem.
- Reference letters written by your chose referees. They must know you well in order to give an exact recommendation based on your academic or professional experiences. The reference should include the period of time the referees has known the applicant, their capacity in knowing the applicant, and a brief overall endorsement of the applicant.
- Have been working for a minimum of 2 years for Chevening Scholarship and either five or seven years’ work experience for Chevening Scholarship.
- Candidates must provide legalized academic diploma and transcript.
You may apply the awards via your country page at www.chevening.org/apply. Make sure you have an uninterrupted internet access when applying online.
The Selection Process
The selection process for each scheme is varied. Chevening Fellows usually takes a minimum of six months, while selection process of Chevening Scholarship may take eight months from the deadline of the application until the candidate is selected conditionally.
If you are shortlisted to interview for the award, you must attend the interview in the city where the British Embassy or the High Commission has representation. You will receive an email about a booking confirmation and you need to book your slot as soon as possible.
Chevening Award Timeline
Chevening Scholarship Application 2020-2021 is open for applications until 05 November 2019 12:00 (GMT).
Here is the timeline for the selection process of Chevening awards.
- Beginning of August – Applications open at 12:00 BST
- Beginning of November – Applications close at 12:00 GMT
- Mid-November to December – Independent reading committees assess the eligible applications
- January to early February – Applicants will be shortlisted for interviews by the British Embassies/High Commissions in their own countries
- Mid-February – Applicants will be notified if they have been selected for interview
- End of February – Deadline for applicants who are invited to the interview to submit undergraduate certificates and references
- Beginning of March to beginning of May – Global interview period
- Early June – Announcement of interview results
- Mid-July – Deadline for UK university unconditional offers
- Mid-July – Deadline for submitting the English language requirement
- September/October – Chevening Scholars begin their studies in the UK