Some students believe that scholarships are intended specifically for students in immediate need of financial assistance. This aren’t the case. Nonetheless, winning a scholarship would help every recipient for several years after earning the grant. When you are on the brink about applying for scholarships and unable to devote your time to the process, consider any of the major benefits before losing your opportunity. Once you know what benefits you can get by applying for a scholarship, then now is the right time to determine what scholarship program is right for you. There are a number of factors that might affect your decision, but if you have not yet decided anything at the time then it would not hurt to consider the following scholarship. The CNU Scholarship is a system of grants provided by Christopher Newport University. To find out more about the scholarships given to CNU Scholar, continue scrolling to the end of this article.
What kind of scholarship does CNU offer?
Christopher Newport gives all incoming First Year students selective merit-based scholarships. Scholarships are available through two training programs, the Honors Program and the President’s Leadership Program. Including the scholarships dependent on merit, CNU also has a small number of scholarships funded by private donors or outside agencies. The provision of scholarships relies on the continuing participation of private sponsors and organizations, and the sponsored scholarship fund investment earnings.
All applicants admitted into CNU are eligible for available scholarships depending on the donor’s requirements. When further application for a scholarship is required, the scholarship committee will contact all qualified applicants.
Can CNU Scholar receive athletic scholarships?
No. Christopher Newport University, as an NCAA Division III school, does not offer any athletic scholarships. All first-time fresheners can, however, qualify for their merit-based scholarship programs.
Can CNU Scholar apply for merit-based scholarships?
Yes. In fact, there are several merit-based scholarships that can be applied by freshmen of Christopher Newport University, including:
- President’s Leadership Program (PLP): The President’s Leadership Program is tailored for high-achieving students who have displayed an enthusiasm for involvement while in high school, and who have shown capacity for leadership. The curriculum combines teamwork, service learning and professional growth into academic research.
- Honors Program: The Honors Program includes engaging interdisciplinary seminar courses which requires at least two honors inquiries picked from studying abroad, academic studies, community participation or internships. Honorary students are also granted more educational opportunity, with seminar work that meets the central criteria of liberal learning.
- Riverside Medical Group (RMG): RMG Scholars, selected from among the best incoming pre-medicated students, are mentored by physicians of the Riverside Health System and gain clinical experience by summer medical rotations, as well as other medical education programs.
- Canon Virginia Leadership Scholarships: Canon Virginia Leadership Scholarships are awarded to outstanding students with an interest in engineering or computer science. Students will be eligible for a paid summer internship with Canon Virginia after their junior year.
- Ferguson Enterprises Performing Arts Scholarships: Outstanding students are given Ferguson Enterprises Performing Arts Scholarships based on exceptional ability and abilities shown during audition sessions.
- Bonner Service Scholars Program: The Bonner Community Scholars program is a four-year educational initiative that educates, equips and encourages students in a collaboration with the Bonner National Foundation to serve the local community and beyond.
- Computer Science and Engineering: Students who wish to be major in computer science, computer engineering, cybersecurity or information science are awarded the scholarships.
How do I apply for a merit-based scholarship?
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants must apply either to the Honors Program or to the President’s Leadership program. The selection process requires an extra essay and an interview on entry into the Common Application. The entry interview can be performed by Skype, if necessary.
Why does CNU need private funds?
CNU programs are funded through private support, tuition, room and board fees, state operating funds, and bonds for construction of new facilities. Private donor support is especially critical for construction of selected facilities, student scholarships, faculty development, research, specialized equipment, student development initiatives, library acquisitions, and programs in the arts and athletics.
Where does CNU receive the fund?
Support comes from alumni, parents, corporations, foundations and other university friends.
What GPA is required for CNU?
With a GPA of 3.78, CNU requires you to be above average in your high school class. You’ll need at least a mix of A’s and B’s, with more A’s than B’s. You can compensate for a lower GPA with harder classes, like AP or IB classes.
Does CNU require SAT essay?
Christopher Newport University does not ask applicants to submit a SAT Essay along with the remainder of the test. Students attending Christopher Newport University should take note of this guideline because the essay is an optional part of the exam. CNU has also stated that certain candidates need the SAT or ACT. The SAT or ACT is optional but suggested by the school to increase the chances of applying. Using your GPA or class rating alone, you might get accepted with.
Is CNU a good university?
Christopher Newport University delivers a high-quality curriculum at a lower than average rate than most comparable public colleges. This results in a good value for the educational dollar, and earns CNU a #525 ranking on the Overall Best Colleges for the Money list.
Is CNU a public university?
Yes. Christopher Newport University (CNU) is a public liberal arts university in Newport News, Virginia.
How big is CNU?
It has a cumulative enrollment of 4,857 undergraduates, its location is urban and the size of the campus is 260 acres.
How to apply as a CNU Scholar?
- Early Decision (binding): Through making Early Decision, if you are granted acceptance, you decide to register with Christopher Newport University in the autumn. Applying Early Decision means that your submission is among the first we review; and if accepted, have your college search done rapidly and successfully. If we cannot give you admission initially, we can postpone your application and consider it again during the regular decision process. All candidates for early decision must have the Early Decision Agreement digitally accepted by approval by a parent/guardian and a high school advisor.
- Early Action: The non-binding Early Action plan is a perfect choice for students who are really interested in Christopher Newport, but also have several colleges in mind and are reluctant to commit to one early on. The primary benefit of taking Early Action is the chance to have the submission checked long before the usual spring notice deadline.
- Regular Decision: This is the final application deadline for freshman admission.
What do I need to apply as a CNU Scholar?
- Submit the form online with an essay and a $65 non-refundable processing charge or waiver charge.
- Provide your most recent official transcript from high school. Paper transcripts are approved but we recommend transcripts submitted online. (Please note: documents submitted by the Coalition Application will be checked using the document details provided by itself.)
- Have your SAT, ACT, and/or CLT scores submitted to Christopher Newport directly (unless you qualify to apply test-optional).
- If applying Early Decision, add the required documentation with the Early Decision Agreement.
All applicants are recommended to complete the following actions:
- Submit teacher evaluations in a core subject (English, social studies, foreign language, mathematics or science). Note: The Common Application requires that students request a teacher recommendation when completing the application. However, we will review your application without a teacher recommendation.
- Schedule an admission interview.
- Schedule a campus visit.
- Have your school counselor submit a School Report Form electronically through the application website. (Paper forms are accepted, but we encourage online submission through Common Application, Coalition Application or Naviance.)
- Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form by March 1, if applicable.