Singapore stands out as one of the top destination for foreign students aiming for high quality education. The country is also a great location for adventurous students who would love to have easy access to popular Southeast Asian destinations. Singapore is also known to be a country with strict laws, which are guaranteed to help create a safe space for locals and foreigners.
Some of the universities at Singapore are the highest ranking universities in the world. These universities include the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. Not only the universities provide high quality educations, they also offer scholarships for both local and foreign students.
NUS ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarships (AUS)
The National University of Singapore (NUS) offers undergraduate students from countries within the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) freshmen scholarships to study in NUS. The scholarships are offered to support outstanding students from ASEAN member countries, excluding Singapore).
The ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarships are tenable for the normal course duration. The scholarships can be transferred across courses, excluding Dentistry, Law, Medicine and Music. There are limited scholarships for Dentistry, Law and Medicine due to the high competitive nature of these courses.
While there is no bond attached to the ASEAN Undergraduate scholarship, students are required to take up the MOE Tuition Grant to receive the scholarship. Those who take up the MOE Tuition Grant will be bonded under the terms of the Tuition Grant, to work for a Singapore-registered company for three years immediately upon graduation. Scholars admitted to Dentistry and Medicine will be required to undertake a service bond with the Singapore Ministry of Health for five to six years respectively. NUS, however, does not guarantee and/or provide scholars with employment upon graduation.
The ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarships cover tuition fees (after MOE Tuition Grant Subsidy) and annual living allowance worth S$5,800. Recipients of this scholarship may not concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary, grant, award or allowance without prior approval from NUS.
There are certain eligible criteria you must meet to win the scholarship:
- You must be a citizen of one of the country members of ASEAN, excluding Singapore – the ASEAN member countries are Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam
- You must have strong leadership qualities and potential
- You must present good co-curricular activities records
- You are required to possess outstanding high school results
- You must be applying for admission to a full-time undergraduate degree programme at NUS
Candidates of this scholarship will be considered and shortlisted through their applications for undergraduate admission to NUS. No separate application is required for the scholarship.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified via e-mail for an interview. They will be required to provide a submission furnishing their co-curricular activity and other achievements, and a personal statement, before the interview.
For further information, visit the official NUS website.
The Nanyang Technological University (NTU) offers undergraduate scholarships to outstanding freshmen pursuing undergraduate programmes at the university. Nanyang Scholarships recognizes students who excel academically, demonstrated strong leadership potential, and possess outstanding co-curricular records.
The scholarship covers up to normal programme duration on condition that the scholarship recipient maintains a record of good academic performance and exemplary conduct. The benefits that the recipients will receive from the Nanyang Scholarships are:
- Full coverage of subsidised tuition fees (after Tuition Grant)
- Living allowance worth S$6,500 per academic year
- Accommodation allowance of up to S$2,000 per academic year (applicable to scholarship holders who reside in NTU hostels only)
- Travel grant worth S$5,000 for an overseas programme (one-off)
- Computer allowance worth S$1,750 (one-off)
- Priority for Overseas Programme
- Participation in Scholars Orientation Programme, Scholars Award Ceremony, Outreach Programmes, and Eminent Speaker Series
- No bond is attached to the Nanyang Scholarship apart from the three-year bond applicable to all Singapore permanent residents and international students under the MOE Tuition Grant Scheme.
The Nanyang Scholarships are open to all nationalities. However, there are a number of criteria you must meet to be fully eligible for the scholarship.
- As a successful awardee, you should read a full-time undergraduate degree programme. The scholarship will financially cover the years of your study at NTU. However, the scholarship will cover only the first three years of study for the Biomedical Sciences & Chinese Medicine Programme.
- Possess outstanding Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ level, Diploma awarded by a polytechnic in Singapore, NUS High School Diploma, IB Diploma or Year 12 equivalent qualifications.
- Excellent co-curricular records.
- Strong leadership qualities and potential.
Prior to submitting your application for the scholarship, you are required to submit your application for admission in a Nanyang Technological University undergraduate degree programme. Once you have reserved an undergraduate degree programme in NTU, you can login on your application portal to access the scholarship application form (for applicants with qualifications of Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ level, Diploma awarded by a polytechnic in Singapore, NUS High School Diploma, or IB Diploma), or apply for the scholarship with your assigned application number (for applicants with Year 12 equivalent results) before the application closing date. The scholarship application closing date is the same as that of the application closing date for admission. Applications submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
As part of completing the form, a personal essay of not more than 300 words is required. The three topics you may write on are shown in the scholarship application form. You are also required to submit the following supporting documents after completing your application form.
- Upload a recent passport-size photo (digital image)
- Submit a referee’s appraisal online. The appraisal is to be completed by your school teacher, who must not be your family or relative. After you have submitted your scholarship application, you will be provided with a URL to be forwarded to your school teacher. When you are passing the link to your teacher, please inform him/her of your NTU application number and date of birth, as he/she will need the information to submit the appraisal online. Your school teacher is to complete and submit the online appraisal form within 7 days of your scholarship application. If your teacher is not able to submit it online within 7 days and needs more time, please inform him/her to submit as soon as possible (preferably not more than two weeks form your date of scholarship application). Note that only one appraisal may be submitted online to support your application.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified via e-mail by late May for an interview. The scholarship selection interviews will take place between March to May
For more information, visit the Nanyang Scholarships webpage on the Nanyang Technical University website under the Admissions > Undergraduate Admissions tab.