About the Delft University of Technology
The Delft University of Technology, more commonly known as TU Delft within the public, is the Netherlands’ largest and oldest unviersity that focuses on technology. Alike the name itself, the university is located in the city of Delft. With a top 20 ranking of best universities in the world, especially for engineering and technology, TU Delft has become a popular university for the local Netherlands youth who are planning to pursue a degree that focuses on the research fields of engineering and technology.
TU Delft is home to eight faculties, a handful of research institutions, and has a total enrollment of over 19,000 – both from undergraduate and postgraduate studies. The staff members includes a total of 2,900 scientists and 2,100 supporting staff. As one of the globe’s most highly-regarded universities, TU Delft is well-known for its research, quality education system, and its networks with various external partners. With a learning ecosystem that nurtures and challenges you at the same time, students of TU Delft will be pushed as they dig up their potential to develop new forms of education and research. Enrolling in TU Delft will have you leaving as a contributing member of both the campus and the society you live in.
About the Justus & Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships
The TU Delft offers multiple scholarships for international students who have shown tremendous potential for the pursuit of academia. One of the scholarships includes the Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships program. Founded and funded by the legacy of Justus and Louise van Effen, a prominent student of the campus back in the 1940s, he hopes that the scholarship will motivate students to continuously create new technological innovations that could lead to solutions for some of the world’s societal issues. This scholarship is aimed at MSc students who wish to pursue a Master’s degree at TU Delft. Only 2 scholarships will be provided per faculty, so future candidates, don’t miss out on this opportunity.
The Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships program provides generous benefits for its grantees. Selected candidates will be entitled to a fully-expenses paid tuition paid for on a yearly basis (with the tuition fee based on the institutional rate), direct scholarship membership which allows you to join workshops, seminars, or personal development session, and lastly, a yearly stipend of €30.000 per year for Non-EU/EFTA students or €11.500 per year for EU/EFTA students.
If you are a potential applicant who’s interested in the Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships program, you must meet all of these eligibility criteria before you could even start on your applications. All of the criteria must be met. Should you fail to meet all of the eligibility criteria, you application will be automatically dismissed. The eligibility criteria includes:
- Astounding applicants from overseas who have been enrolled into any 2-year Regular MSc programme offered by TU Delft.
- Acquired a minimum GPA of 80% or higher during their previous bachelor’s degree. The degree must be established by a renowned university that is outside of the Netherlands.
The Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships program is not without its list of requirements. All candidates must oblige to two sets of requirements before they could apply for the scholarships program. The first is the Bachelor’s Degree and CGPA requirements, and the second one if the English Language Proficiency requirements. Take a look at the list of requirements below before you get started on your scholarship applications.
Bachelor’s Degree and CGPA
- All candidates must have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 75% (however, this can change under certain circumstances.)
- Your bachelor’s degree must be equivalent in level to a bachelor’s degree from a Netherland’s based research university.
- Regarding your bachelor’s degree as well, the field of your previous study must have some sort of relation to the MSc programme that you are planning to apply with the scholarship program.
- Must have earned credible score for your past key subjects
Notes: Depending on where you have pursued your bachelor’s degree, there may be specific requirements attached to it. For more information, click this link here. On top of that, you will have to double check on your future MSc study programme to see if they have any more specific requirements. You can visit the official MSc programme page to attain more details.
English Language Proficiency
Since English is the main language that is used in all of TU Delft’s MSc programmes, all candidates must provide valid proof of fluency in both written and spoken English. In order to do so, please have one of these English language certificates submitted to the application program along with its corresponding scores. However, the certificates must not be older than two years at the time of submission. If they are, your application will not be accepted. The eligible certificates are as follows:
- A TOEFL iBT with an overall band score of at least 90 and a minimum score of 21 for each section.
- An IELTS (academic version) with an overall Band score of at least 6.5 and a minimum of 6.0 for each section.
- A Cambridge Assessment English:
- C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English) with an overall score of 176 and a minimum of 169 for each section.
- C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English) with an overall score of 180 and a minimum of 169 for each section
How to Apply
Ready to apply for the Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships? No sweat! Here are all of the instructions that you need to follow to ensure a smooth application procedure. Please be noted that all candidates must adhere to all of the steps that have been established by the program. If candidates miss any one of these steps, their application will automatically be dismissed. Follow these instructions below:
- Find out if you meet all of the eligibility criteria of the scholarship.
- Finish up your MSc application (don’t forget to always refer to the provided admission requirements.)
Information About Reference Letters
- The letters must be formally written in either these four languages: English, French, German, or Dutch.
- Must be written by a previous professor or assistant professor.
- Should you have any work experience, your reference letter could also be written by your employer.
- Your letters should be written on the official letterhead, or the letter should have the official stamp of your previous campus/company.
- The letters should be officially signed by the referee and must have your complete name in it.
- Should your referee be hesitant about providing you with a letter, the have the option of sending a scanned PDF letter to this email address: email@example.com. The email must have your complete name and TU Delft student number (the number itself will be given when you register in Studielink.)
- If you plan to send a reference letter through this method, you are obliged to upload a statement under “Reference Letter” in http://osiaan.tudelft.nl/ as well. This is done so that the administration office will be informed of your decision. Have you name and the email address of your referee stated as well for further reference.
With the Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships just around the corner, we highly suggest you to start your scholarship applications at this very second. The closing date for the scholarship program is on December 1st, 2019 at 23:29 CET. Make sure you have all of your application forms and necessary documents submitted by the deadline. As a pro tip, since this is an online application, we advise you to not apply at the very last-minute as the website could crash any time due to heavy traffic. Plus, if you start your applications from now, you can have a lot more time to revise your form and your documents.
Regarding the announcements, only selected candidates who have been granted the Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships will be informed. All notifications will by done by TU Delft through email. Grantees will be notified of their successful applications by the very latest the end of March 2020. Therefore, if you have submitted your scholarship applications, always check your email regularly to see if you’ve received a notice. If you don’t, unfortunately, your application has not fulfilled all of the admission criteria set out by the scholarship program.
Need more information about the Justus and Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarships? Don’t sweat, we’ve got you all covered! Check out these official contact information below if you need to ask more about the scholarship programs. Always ask questions you need the answers to. Whether it’s a simple question or an elaborate one, they’re all important. Happy applying, and we wish you all the best future scholars!
Visiting Address: Mekelweg 5, 2628 CD Delft, Netherlands
Postal Address: Postbus 5 ,2600 AA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone Number: Tel: +31 (0)15 27 89111
Official Website: https://www.tudelft.nl/en/education/practical-matters/scholarships/justus-louise-van-effen-excellence-scholarships/