Table of Contents
With the Malaysia International Scholarship 2022, Malaysia hopes to entice the brightest minds from around the world to pursue postgraduate studies here. Accomplished human capital from outside is essential to Malaysia’s aim to become one of the world’s leading academic centers of excellence.
This prize is open to overseas students with exceptional academic and extracurricular achievements. Learn how to apply for the Malaysia International Scholarship 2022 the right way through our comprehensive guide.
About the Malaysia International Scholarship 2022
International students are eligible to apply for the Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), a government-funded scholarship that allows them to pursue Master’s and PhD degrees in Malaysia. After a two-year pause, the government has reopened the application process for MIS.
The Malaysia International Scholarship 2022 is open to high-potential and excellent graduates from 85 countries throughout the world, including:
- South Africa
Particularly, the scholarship will be available in 24 Malaysian public universities, including:
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN)
Applicants are welcome to apply for any accredited courses with priorities given to courses under the following areas of study:
- Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries and Veterinary
- Arts and Humanities
- Business, Administration and Law
- Engineering, Manufacturing and Construction
- Health and Welfare (not including medicine, nursing and pharmacy)
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics
- Social Sciences, Journalism and Information
Students looking for a complete list of host Malaysian universities and countries eligible for MIS can find it here. Applications are limited to no more than 3 Malaysian universities or higher learning institutions that are mentioned on the MIS application requirements.
This scholarship covers only the cost of tuition and a monthly stipend of RM 1,500 for living expenses. However, successful candidates must arrange their own travel to Malaysia. In other words, the Malaysian Government would not cover the costs of travel for the participants. As a further recommendation, all applicants are strongly urged to evaluate Malaysia’s estimated living costs prior arrival.
An additional feature of each Malaysia International Scholarship 2022 is that it offers:
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Medical or health insurance
- Installation and termination grant
- Thesis allowance
- Conference travel grant
- Journal publication grant
As a reminder, the Malaysian government has the power to assess the value of awards at any moment. Thus, it is possible that scholarship values could be altered and the effective date given to the successful applicants if such modifications are made.
On the other hand, MIS provides full financial support for the duration of the student’s course of study. The following is the longest length of time you can be sponsored:
- Master’s degree: maximum of 24 months
- Doctorate degree: maximum of 36 months
Next, applicants must fulfill the following criteria for their applications to be considered further:
- Applicants are not more than 40 and 45 years old at the time of application for Master and PhD levels respectively.
- Applicants possess good academic qualifications:
- obtaining CGPA 0 or Honors or higher at Bachelor’s degree level for Masters applicants; or
- obtaining CGPA 0 or excellent results at Masters level in course related to the intended study program for PhD applicants.
- Applicants master good proficiency of English, obtaining band 0 or higher in IELTS or a total score of 550 or higher in TOEFL paper-based test (PBT) or having obtained previous degree(s) with English used as the medium of instructions.
- Applicants submit a written research proposal with minimum of 1,000 words that is relevant to the intended field of studies.
- Applicants are in excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor or Medical Professional.
- Applicants have applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia.
Next, Malaysia International Scholarship 2022 applications will be considered to the following selection criteria:
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English.
- Outstanding academic achievement.
- The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well-being.
Before applying for the Malaysia International Scholarship 2022, applicants are advised to get the following documents ready in advance:
- An application form
- A certified copy of passport as evidence of nationality (with minimum validity of 6 months)
- A certified copy of academic transcript(s)
- A certified copy of English proficiency test result (IELTS or TOEFL)
- Letters of recommendation from 2 referees
- An endorsement form
- An admission letter from a Malaysian university or higher education institute (if applicable)
- A recent Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A research proposal
Most importantly, make sure to scan and save your documents in PDF format before being uploaded to the online application system.
The Malaysia International Scholarship 2022 Application
All applications should be made online through Ministry of Higher Education’s portal. This link will take you to the online application system for MIS, where interested recent graduates can apply.
To use the system, you must first register and then fill out and submit the necessary paperwork. This system will be used throughout the application and selection process. To obtain updates on the application status or to submit documents, you may need to check back in at various times throughout the process.
The call for application for the academic year 2022/2023 will be opened from May 15th, 2022 until June 15th, 2022. Make sure to submit your application before the due date to avoid disqualifications.
For further enquiries regarding MIS, contact:
Ministry of Higher Education
Level 2, No. 2, Tower 2
Jalan P5/6, Precinct 5
Alternatively, you can make a phone call to +603-8888 1616 or +603-8870 6368 or send an email to email@example.com. Meanwhile, for any technical assistance regarding MIS online application system, submit an email with screenshot to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Malaysia International Scholarship 2022 Official Website
Apply to or find out more about the Malaysia International Scholarship 2022 at www.mohe.gov.my. Looking for more financial aids for international students? Check out our comprehensive guides on Brunei Darussalam Scholarship and Marie Curie Scholarship.