Table of Contents
If you are looking for an opportunity to study abroad, Brunei Darussalam should be at the top of your list of destinations. One of the best countries in the world for international students, Brunei Darussalam offers a relaxed, outdoor lifestyle and year-round sunshine. The country is also home to some of the best universities in Asia, including the Universiti Brunei Darussalam and the Politeknik Brunei.
Are you an international student on the hunt for scholarships to study in Brunei Darussalam? We got you covered. Brunei Darussalam Scholarship is now available to international students who aspire to study and conduct research abroad. This award is offered by the government of Brunei Darussalam for the 2022/2023 academic session. Read on to learn about the scholarship opportunities available to foreign students.
About the Brunei Darussalam Scholarship
The Brunei Darussalam Scholarship 2022/2023 is an initiative of the government of Brunei Darussalam in sponsoring international students to study and conduct research or professional development in this peaceful country. It provides selected applicants with the opportunity to pursue Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree and Postgraduate Master’s Degrees at any of the following institutions:
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD)
- Kolej Universiti Perguruan Ugama Seri Begawan (KUPU SB)
- Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali (UNISSA)
- Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB)
- Politeknik Brunei (PB)
As the name suggests, the scholarship is valid for the 2022/2023 school year, with the academic sessions starting in July/August 2022.
The Brunei Darussalam Scholarship is only available for the programmes offered under this scheme. For details on what programmes the award supports, click on one of the links above. As each institution has its own admission criteria, you should check and comply with them before considering applying for the scholarship. We encourage you to review the requirements in advance.
Brunei Darussalam Scholarship recipients will be facilitated with the following benefits:
- Exemption from paying tuition fees, including admission, examination, registration, and orientation fees for the duration of the programme attended;
- An economy class air-ticket to Brunei Darussalam from recipients’ country of origin or country of domicile prior to the start of the course;
- An economy class air-ticket from Brunei Darussalam to recipients’ country of origin or country of domicile after course completion;
- A monthly personal allowance of BND$500;
- A monthly food allowance of BND$150;
- An annual book allowance of $600;
- Accommodation at the residential college of the selected university or polytechnic;
- A baggage allowance for the shipment of recipients’ personal belongings to their country of origin or country of domicile after programme completion, at a maximum amount of BND$250 (to a country within the ASEAN region) or BND$500 (to a country outside the ASEAN region); and
- Comprehensive insurance for the full duration of the scholarship.
Brunei Darussalam Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Applications for the Brunei Darussalam Scholarship are open to citizens of, but not least, ASEAN, Commonwealth, and OIC member countries. In other words, applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply. Additionally, they must be between the ages of 18 to 25 for Diploma and Undergraduate programmes. On the other hand, applicants must not exceed the age of 35 for Postgraduate Master’s Degree programmes by 31 July 2022.
Most importantly, the scholarship is not available to permanent residents of Brunei Darussalam.
Once selected, scholarship recipients are not encouraged to bring any family members for the duration of the scholarship. No marriage stipend or child stipend is payable to scholarship recipients. Also, no accommodation will be provided to accompanying spouses, child, or children. Besides, scholarship recipients are not permitted to take up any paid employment or to serve on staff of any country’s representative mission in Brunei Darussalam for the duration of the scholarship.
In detail, scholarship recipients are required to:
- Comply with all rules and regulations that underlie this scholarship;
- Abide by the rules and regulations of their university or polytechnic;
- Respect the customs, culture and official religion of Brunei Darussalam;
- Obey all Brunei Darussalam laws and regulations;
- Refrain from participating in political activities; and
- Undergo health screening in Brunei Darussalam if deemed necessary.
Brunei Darussalam Scholarship Application
To apply for the Brunei Darussalam Scholarship 2022/2023, students must first download the application form at this link. Next, they must fill out the form before sending it to email@example.com. All application forms must be endorsed by the applicants’ Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Education or any national focal points for scholarships. If you are residing in another country, the application form can be endorsed by your Embassy or Consulate or High Commission.
You will need to submit the following documents along with your application form:
- Recent passport size photograph.
- Certified true copies of academic qualifications and other supporting documents (i.e. certificates, testimonials, transcripts).
- Certified English translations of supporting documents for those that are not in English.
- Your Statement of Purpose.
- Certified true copies of Birth Certificate and Passport.
- Security Vetting from your country of origin/residence.
Application forms must be typed, except for Pages 13 and 14. Handwritten forms are not accepted. Furthermore, incomplete application forms will not be considered. Completed application forms should be emailed to the aforementioned e-mail address, in the format of Word Document, PDF, or JPG in a compressed (.zip) folder.
The maximum size for the e-mail and its attachment is 10MB. Make sure to include a title under the subject field when sending your e-mail.
The closing date for submission of the application form is 15 February 2022 at 16:00 (GMT+8). Extension is not granted after the closing date. Then, shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview by the respective higher education institutions. However, an interview is not a guarantee that a Brunei Darussalam Scholarship will be awarded. Please note that only successful applicants will be notified.
If you have any further questions regarding this award or the application procedure, feel free to send your inquiries to queriesBDGS2022@mfa.gov.bn.
Brunei Darussalam Scholarship Official Website
Finally, apply to or learn more about this programme by visiting the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Brunei Darussalam at www.mfa.gov.bn. Looking for more resources? Check out our comprehensive guide to American University Scholarships or Fintiba Scholarships available exclusively to international students.