Iran, officially the Islamic Republic of Iran, is a mountainous country in West Asia. The country boasts a rich tapestry of culture and awe-inspiring landscapes. It is a country of beauty, diversity, and a long, rich history. It is also one of the oldest civilizations in the world, dating back to 2800 BC.
Besides its significantly reduced cost of living, another reason for international students to study in Iran is that the country offers a unique international and cross-cultural educational experience where you will find much to see and plenty to do.
If you are interested to discover what it is like to study in this amazingly beautiful country, you might want to consider to apply for scholarships in Iran for international students, although, as mentioned before, the living cost is rather low comparing to countries like the United States. There are plenty of scholarship and other financial aid opportunities offered every year in Iran. These may come from the Iranian government, generous foundations and universities.
The Iranian Scholarship Foundation’s (ISF) scholarships are given to undergraduate students in the United States. ISF’s scholarships renew annually, supporting students throughout their undergraduate studies for up to 4 years.
- ISF Undergraduate Scholarship: The Iranian Scholarship Foundation’s Undergraduate Scholarship is one of the most generous scholarships available to Iranian-American students in America. This is a need-based renewable scholarship for undergraduate students with demonstrated need who have achieved excellence in their academic performance and community service.
- ISF Graduate Scholarship: The Iranian Scholarship Foundation’s Graduate Scholarship is a newly created source of funding meant to alleviate the financial difficulties facing Iranian students in the United States. This is a need-based renewable scholarship for graduate students in a master’s program with demonstrated need who have achieved excellence in their academic performance and research aptitude. The scholarship duration can be up to two years (subject to duration of program, current progression, and continued academic excellence) and the scholarship amount will depend on financial need.
- Ali Jarrahi Merit Scholarship: Every Year ISF will award two Merit Scholarships to two high school students with outstanding academic records who are entering one of the top universities in the US. The Dr. Ali Jarrahi Merit Scholarship will award $2,000 to each recipient. The award determination for this scholarship is not based on financial need.
- Excellence in Community Service Scholarship: Each year, ISF awards an Excellence in Community Service Scholarship to one student with an outstanding record of community service. The student must have a proven record of community service and have maintained a GPA of 3.5 or better. The award determination for this scholarship is not based on financial need.
In line with the Cooperation Agreement between the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and Iranian Ministry of Science, Research and Technology (MSRT), the call for submission for joint research projects has been announced. The projects must be defined with an Iranian and Turkish partner, where the projects are supported in the following thematic areas:
- Information & Communication Technology
- Material Science (Nano-Micro)
- Cognitive Science
Scientists in Iran who want to propose a joint research project must agree with the researcher(s) working in the research institutions in Turkey whom they will carry out the project together as ‘project partners’. Unilateral project applications are not accepted.
The ICPSR grant program is designed to give researchers an opportunity to gain experience in their academic field by working as a Research Assistant on a faculty member’s research project or on their own project under the close guidance of academic institution or scientific research center. These grants are intended to help in preparing researchers to undertake their own future research projects and to provide supplemental financial assistance. Applicants should be national resident of OIC member states; they should hold a PhD in the field in which the grant is requested. Researchers should also hold a position in a public sector, university or public research institution where projects are proposed. The grants are offered to young outstanding scientists under the age of 40 years from OIC member states where basic tools of research are seriously lacking.
Researchers will be awarded a maximum amount of USD 10,000.00, which is normally provided for a period of two years. Requests for additional grants to allow the extension of a successful project will be considered by ISESCO, subject to the condition that ISESCO program managers approve a satisfactory final report on the previous grant. A grant may be used to purchase scientific apparatus, consumable material and specialized literature at competitive rates. Personal computers are not covered under this scheme, neither are salaries and travel expenses. Grants are available for the following fields of research:
- Health biotechnology
- Information and communication technologies
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- Engineering Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Frontier Areas of Science and Technology
- Medicinal Plants
- Applied Sciences
The World Association of Industrial & Technological Research Organisation (WAITRO) is making an announcement for the WAITRO Fellowship Program, which encourages individuals from member organizations to work or conduct research in other countries, lasting from half a year up to one year. The WAITRO program fosters collaboration between member RTOs as well as sharing of knowhow within various research disciplines, and the Islamic Republic of Iran being a member of this program, is therefore, making an announcement for Iranian researchers to participate in this call. The program will be annually supporting 6 to 10 fellows, for the grantees to work abroad or conduct a research project in another country of a WAITRO member.
Eligibility criteria for this call are:
- Fellowships are open to researchers or technical staff of WAITRO members countries (-including Iran- individuals of WAITRO members in good standing)
- Professionals working across all disciplines are eligible (depending on the host institutes’ scientific fields of competence)
- Applicants need a doctoral degree (PhD) or at least 3 years of full-time research experience at the time of the application
University of Tehran (UT) scholarships provide financial grant to the selected number of academically eligible students. The scholarship programs are provided each year and the amounts are subject to change. Scholarship applications must be sent directly to the Office of International Students at UT. Applications of the current UT students (after approval at the College / Faculty) will be considered in the UT International Council and decisions will be made based on the CV and other supporting documents.
To be considered for UT scholarships, students must submit a completed application for the Fall semester by June 5 and Winter semester by October 5. The University will announce the number of scholarships annually. Scholarship grants are contingent upon the applicant’s academic records and the availability of scholarships awarded by the University. The International Council of the College / Faculty evaluates the study records of the applicants and sends them to the Office of Vice President for International Affairs.
UT scholarships are usually offered for the full period for which students are liable to pay tuition fees. This is usually the same as the duration of the study. (4 years for BA / BSc students, 4 years for PhD students, 6 years for Veterinary Medicine students, 2 years for M.A. and M.Sc. students). UT Scholarship is offered only for one degree program at the University. In exceptional cases and based on recommendations of the previous degree supervisor, and the approval of the department, UT international Council may consider applications of those who have received scholarship in their previous studies.
The scholarship may cover one or several of the followings:
- Registration fees of Persian courses
- Registration fees of the UT
- Access to UT dormitories (single-married)
- Insurance (for the scholarship recipients and their immediate family members)
- Monthly stipend in special cases after the approval of the International Council of the College / Faculty and UT
Students who have already received scholarship from other sources in the Islamic Republic of Iran are not eligible to receive the UT scholarship.
University of Tehran – Kish International Campus (UT-KIC) scholarships provide financial grant to the selected number of academically eligible students. Scholarships are awarded each year and the amounts are subject to change. Scholarship applications must be sent directly to the Office of International Affairs at UT-KIC. Decisions will be made based on the CV and supporting documents of the applicants. To be considered for scholarships, students must submit a completed application for the Fall semester 2019, no later than Sep 1. Scholarship grants are contingent upon the applicant’s academic records and the availability of scholarships awarded by UT-KIC.
The UT-KIC Scholarship is offered only for one degree program at UT-KIC. In exceptional cases and based on the previous degree achievements and approval of the department, applications of those who have received scholarship in their previous studies may be considered by UT-KIC International Council. Scholarship may cover one or several of the followings (in full or in partial):
- Tuition fees of the UT-KIC
- Access to UT-KIC dormitories (single-married)
- Insurance (for the scholarship recipients and their immediate family members)
- Monthly stipend
- Tuition fees of Persian Language courses
Sharif University of Technology (SUT) offers two types of scholarships to international students. A highly competitive full tuition scholarship is awarded especially to talented students, and a partial tuition scholarship of 50% is offered to students with good academic records. All tuition scholarships will be granted for the first semester, and can be carried on to the following semesters based on the academic performance of the receiving students.
Tarbiat Modares University (TMU) offers three different kinds of scholarships to its students in different majors and degrees. These scholarships are:
- Scholarship Type A(Full scholarship): Covers tuition fee, the cost of accommodation and other facilities, travel allowance, and the cost of basic learning of Persian language. Note that all degrees are offered under the full scholarship situation for a limited number of qualified applicants. This type of scholarship is provided by Iran’s Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology based on a very competitive procedure.
- Scholarship Type B: Covers tuition fee, the cost of accommodation and travel allowance.
- Scholarship Type C: Covers only the tuition fee.
The scholarships are awarded each year of study program to the eligible students determined by the International Admission Center.
Besides scholarships, TMU also offers tuition fee discounts to its elite students. The tuition fee discounts consist of a 30% discount for international students outside Iran and a maximum of 50% discount for international students who are currently residences of Iran.