About the University of Debrecen
The University of Debrecen, also pronounced as Debreceni Egyetem in the Hungarian language, is a university that is situated in the city of Debrecen, Hungary. Dating back as far as to the year of 1538, the University of Debrecen is the oldest higher education institution in Hungary that is still operating until modern present times. This university has been notably remarkable for its English language study programme, which has been a massive favorite for international students, especially the ones who are pursuing a degree in the Medical field. As of now, there are approximately 500o students from other parts of the country that are currently attaining their tertiary education in the University of Debrecen.
The establishment has had a long-lasting history of maintaining its leading position within the higher education sector of Hungary. The university that has had its basis on the research field is a frontier institution that has combined the sectors of education, research, health care, ,and agricultural programmes. On top of that, the programmes that have been offered are all in line with the generation’s market demands, but this does not mean that they have forgotten the socio-economic factors that are entailed with the importance of providing said programmes. One thing’s for sure – with the University of Debrecen’s outstanding English language programme that has been prominent in their university since the past decade, the number of international students enrolling in this university has skyrocketed through the roofs, and it’s no question why.
About the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship is a programme that is established by the Government of Hungary. Under the Government Decree 285/2013 (26.07) and then further amended by the Government Decree 81/2015. (31.03), the scholarship programme was announced under the basis of lifting the spirit of its existing foreign policy, entitled “Opening to the East and the South.” Through the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship programme, the establishment has high hopes that they are able to promote internationalisation and display Hungary’s higher education. In addition, the programme aims to promote diversity within the tertiary education institutions by opening its doors to international students coming from all parts of the world.
The foreign and economic policies behind the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship programme is to provide a sort of attachment to foreign students who plan on pursuing their educational degrees in the country of Hungary. Besides experiencing the educational culture, the programme enables their grantees to understand the Hungarian culture and particularities. Through this, foreign students studying in Hungary indirectly becomes the country’s ambassadors where they can promote Hungary as they return back to their home countries. As a result, not only will more people be aware of Hungary, but it will also boost Hungarian’s economic sector and social capital as well.
All grantees of the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship will be awarded with a set of generous financial benefits that will motivate the scholars to pursue their studies without any monetary burden slowing them down. The programme hopes that with the funding that is provided, scholars are able to excel better in their respective fields and specializations during their their studies. Grantees of the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship will be awarded with these following benefits:
- Full coverage of the candidate’s tuition expenses during the entire duration of the programme that the candidates is participating in.
- An monthly allowance for each of the candidates. As per the existing terms and conditions of the scholarship programme, the total sum of the monthly allowance is 43,700 HUF. This sum of money is only applicable for scholars who are pursuing full -time graduate programs, BA/BSc, and MA/MSc university programmes.
- During the first initial phase of the scholarship, which is equivalent of the first 4 semesters, is worth a total amount of 140,000 HUF. During the following phase, which also lasts for a period of 4 semesters, the total amount of the scholarship is 180,000 HUF. This is only applicable within the provided PhD programmes.
- All candidates will be given free accommodation that is handled by the programme. The accommodation will be a dormitory. However, should there be a lack of available dormitories during the applicant’s period of study, the candidate will be given a reimbursement of 40,000 HUF per month to be used to pay off their own accommodation. In cases like this, the candidate will have to seek out their own accommodation during their entire period of their scholarship.
- Full coverage of their health insurance.
There are a list of eligible programmes made available for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship. These programmes are catered to all university levels, such as Undergraduate, Graduate, One-tier, and PhD/Doctoral degrees. Ont top of that, there are several study fields that can be enrolled into courtesy of the University of Study fields covered by the Stipendium Hungaricum education scholarship. These study fields include:
- Health Sciences
To view all of the specific programmes that are available for each degree level and each programme, you can visit this page to get a full view of the courses you are allowed to take at the University of Debrecen. Get a look at theses available programmes from A-Z at the website link here.
In order to apply for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship, all candidates are expected to fulfill these following requirements of the programme. All requirements must be met, as each of them play a determining factor into your future application process. Failure to do so might cause a possibility of revocation of your application process. Another tip is to always have multiple copies of your scholarship requirements and make sure that all of your copies are verified. This is just a means of having several back up copies of your important documents just in case the programme asks for more documentation.
The requirements of the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship programme are as listed below:
- Certificate of Education, which are fully translated into English
- School-leaving qualification
- High school diploma
- Document of Graduation
- University or College Diploma/Certificate
- Any equivalent documentation
- Valid proof of citizenship or permanent residence (e.g. Passports, ID Cards, etc.)
- A short resume or your latest Curriculum Vitae
- A valid medical certificate. The medical certificate must use the provided template. You can download the form here.
- All Medical programme students originating from the United States are to attached their Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) test.
- Note: an IELTS/TOEFL Language Certificate is not required.
How to Apply
In order to apply for a Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship programme, you will be required to follow several steps to ensure that you have a fruitful application procedure. All steps are equally important, so make sure everyone take note. Failure to take on all of these steps might be disadvantageous to your scholarship application. The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship application procedure includes visiting the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship online application portal. However, before you press that button, we highly encourage you to read the current Call for Application page that will soon be updated. In the mean time, you can start preparing all of the aforementioned requirements, so that when the application portal is finally up and running, you’ll have your requirements all prepped up.
Now that you know all the steps to apply for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship, it’s time to jot down the closing date of the application process. To all interested candidates of this scholarship programme, the closing date for the September 2020 academic year falls on the 15th of January, 2020 (TBA). However, the date may shift depending on the situation, so we advise you to regularly check the website for any updates regarding the closing date. In addition, since this is an online application process, we highly encourage all candidates to start their application process days before the closing date. This is to avoid the heavy traffic that may appear as we are nearing the official deadline. Heavy online traffic means website crashes and lagged systems, which could really disrupt your application procedure. Therefore, the moment you have all of your requirements gathered and settled, start your applications as soon as possible.
We here understand that different kinds of people have specific questions about the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship. Some inquiries may be as minor as when’s the closing date of the application procedure, or as major as what will the scholarship programme ask of the grantees to do in the near future. Therefore, with all kinds of inquiries or concerns future candidates of this scholarship programme might have, we’ve got you covered! If you have anything that’s still up in your mind, you can always refer to one of these official contacts below to deliver your inquiries or concerns. Always ask everything that you need to know to make sure that there is no confusion or unnecessary fuss during the application procedure. Last but not least, we hope that you will have a successful application process, either with the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship or other opportunities. Happy applying, future scholars of the world!
Address: University of Debrecen,H-4032 Debrecen, Egyetem tér 1.
- +36 52 258 058 (Secreteriat)
- +36 52 258 051, 052, 067 (Medical Programs)
- +36 52 518 659 (Non-Medical Programs)