Table of Contents
The University of Melbourne offers a wide range of scholarships. The university believes that scholarships aren’t just for high achievers. There are scholarships available for many situations and students, including the foreign ones. With the University of Melbourne International Scholarship, students from all around the globe can study for almost free.
We come from different places – from the inner cities to the Kimberley, and from over 140 different countries – to make Melbourne home.
We have different passions and ambitions. Some of us want to see beyond the stars; some of us are working to save what’s precious here on Earth. Some of us are driven to create new worlds in art or to carve a path in sport. The one thing we all have in common is a passion for changing what’s possible, and we know we can only do that together.
That’s why the University of Melbourne offers a huge variety of scholarships. Wherever you are, and whatever your passion is, with a University of Melbourne International Scholarship you can turn ambition into achievement.
Below is all the information you need before you start applying for a University of Melbourne International Scholarship.
University of Melbourne International Scholarship Overview
The University of Melbourne International Scholarship is awarded to high achieving 50 international undergraduate students in recognition of their excellent academic results. There is no application required to register for the scholarship. You will be automatically considered for this award once you are enrolled at the University of Melbourne.
This scholarship provides either a:
- $10,000 tuition fee remission in the first year of an undergraduate degree,
- 50% fee remission for the three-year duration of an undergraduate degree, or
- 100% fee remission for the three-year duration of an undergraduate degree.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- be a citizen of a country other than Australia and New Zealand and not a permanent resident of Australia
- have received an offer for an undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne
- have achieved excellent final year school results, such as a minimum of three A grades in the GCE A-Levels (with numerical grades) and more than 94% average from the three highest-scoring A level subjects; at least 97% in an approved Foundation program; at least a score of 43 in the International Baccalaureate (IB); at least a 3.9 GPA for US High School in combination with at least SAT 1500 or ACT 31
- not have previously undertaken any tertiary studies (excluding extension studies completed as part of a year 12 program)
Eligible candidates are selected based on academic merit and ranked according to their results achieved in the final year of high school to determine the value of the scholarship.
How to Apply for the University of Melbourne International Scholarship
Students who have received a course offer will be automatically considered for this scholarship. Then, successful candidates will be notified four to five weeks after they have received a course offer.
Undergraduate course application eligibility
To apply for a Melbourne undergraduate degree, you’ll need to meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- Complete the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification
- Meet any additional academic requirements necessary for the application to your preferred undergraduate degree. These include prerequisite subjects, prerequisite tests, portfolio submission, interviews or auditions
- Meet the English language requirement
Meeting minimum entry requirements means you’re eligible to apply for the University of Melbourne’s courses. It doesn’t guarantee selection. You need to apply for courses with Melbourne before you can be assessed for admission.
Minimum entry scores
Guaranteed or indicative entry scores have been set for international applicants seeking entry based on overseas secondary school qualifications, Australian secondary qualifications, or through a foundation program.
If you meet the required scores, as well as satisfy minimum entry requirements, subject prerequisites, and English language requirements, you may be guaranteed entry into an undergraduate degree. See indicative entry scores for international students here.
You’ll need to satisfy the subject prerequisite requirements for the course you’ve applied for. This ensures you have the right skills, knowledge, and experience required for the course. If you haven’t, you can satisfy prerequisite requirements in a number of ways, including:
- Past VCE Unit 3/4 or equivalent studies: You may satisfy your course prerequisite if you have completed the relevant VCE Unit 3/4 or equivalent subjects in the last 10 years.
- An adult VCE program: You may complete one of the following programs to meet the prerequisite of your chosen course Adult Community Education (ACE), Technical and Further Education (TAFE), and Centre for Adult Education (CAE).
English language requirement
If you receive an offer conditional on meeting our English language requirement, you may meet this by completing an English language proficiency test or through the previous study in English.
You’ll need to accept your offer and enroll at Melbourne to receive your Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE). With your CoE you can then apply for your student visa.
With an Australian student visa, you can only take full-time study in a CRICOS-registered course. You need to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before you arrive. You may also be required to do additional character and health tests where required.
If you’re under 18 years of age, you’ll also need to have appropriate accommodation, support, and welfare arrangements in place in order to have your student visa approved.
As an international applicant, you are strongly encouraged to submit your application, including all required documents, by the application closing dates. This will enable the application to be considered for a greater range and number of scholarships.
Closing dates may vary according to the course you are applying for. You should confirm the course application closing date with the relevant faculty.
There are four ways in which you can get answers to your questions about the University of Melbourne International Scholarship.
1. Phone Call
- Within Australia: 13 MELB (13 6352)
- Outside Australia: +61 3 9035 5511
- Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday and Friday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
2. Book an appointment
Click here to book a one-on-one virtual or phone appointment. Appointments are available for general inquiries or individual support from one of the University of Melbourne’s many student services.
3. Submit an inquiry
Submit an inquiry or update an existing inquiry through this link.
4. Chat online
Chat one-on-one here with one of the University of Melbourne’s advisers.
- Monday to Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday and Friday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
University of Melbourne International Scholarship‘s Official Website
You can access further information about this scholarship online at Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarship’s official webpage. The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Hence, please visit the website periodically for the latest updates. Information describing the numbers and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.
Benefits of scholarships administered by Melbourne Scholarships are paid according to the university’s fortnightly salary pay cycle.
Payments can only be made after you have:
- accepted your scholarship offer,
- enrolled in the course or subject for which the scholarship was awarded,
- updated your address and bank details.
The benefits of your scholarship are listed in your scholarship offer or the terms and conditions that apply to your scholarship.