About Yenching Academy of Peking University
The Yenching Academy of Peking University is a well-known institution based in Beijing, China. The institution strives itself on building bridges between Mainland China and the rest of the globe with their China Studies master’s program. By doing so, the Yenching Academy of Peking University hopes to attract young people of all parts of the world and of all generations to explore China and examine its contributions to world, providing a fresh perspective to China.
In the Yenching Academy of Peking University, students are given an opportunity to work closely with some of the university’s best professors and mentors, each with their own field of specialization. Students are also given the freedom to pave their own academic careers by choosing courses of their wishes based on the six programs provided by the campus.
In addition to the campus’ astounding academic environment, fellowship recipients will have the opportunity of a lifetime engaging in active dialogues and sharing perspectives about China Studies not just from youth originating from Mainland China, but as well as other students coming from different parts of the globe. This initiative is conducted in order to bring these youths together to demonstrate acts of leadership and innovation.
About the Yenching Scholars Program
The Yenching Scholars Program is a fellowship offered every year by the Yenching Academy of Peking University. Focusing on the field of China Studies, the research areas that will be covered during the program are Economics and Management, History and Archaeology, Philosophy and Religion, Politics and International Relations, Law and Society, and Literature and Culture.
Scholars who are keen on the subject of China and Chinese language are highly encouraged to give this scholarship a try. The program will consist of a China Studies Lecture Series, a team-taught course, field study strips, academic writing courses, and the compulsory Chinese language course for international scholars.
If you do not come from a China Studies or Chinese language academic background, that is not a problem. As long as the candidate exhibits a strong passion in the Chinese culture and is willing to take up interdisciplinary studies, as well as being able to fulfill all of the program’s requirements, the candidate is good to go!
Successful candidates of the Yenching Scholars Program will receive an all-expenses paid tuition, free accommodation in the Yenching Academy House, travel money for one round-way trip to Beijing and back to your home country, basic health insurance, monthly allowances, and research-related fees.
Should any student maintain a good academic track throughout their university years and plan on furthering their studies in Beijing, they are allowed to try out for the Yenching Scholars Program during the following year.
If you are a scholar keen in applying for the Yenching Scholars 2020 program, here are some qualifications that you need to fulfill in order to be eligible for the program:
- Candidates can be from either the Chinese Mainland or foreigners from other countries.
- Must hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from any type of program or specialization. The degree must be awarded before the 31st of August, 2020.
- Candidates are to have an astounding track record which they are accountable for.
- Should exhibit a high interest in interdisciplinary study taking place in the country of China.
- Must have a history of joining social organizations, earning extracurricular prestige, a strong sense of engagement with any form of community, and exhibit some sort of leadership potential both within the academic and the non-academic spectrum.
- Provide proof of upmost fluency in both written and spoken English.
Before future applicants are allowed to apply for the Yenching Scholars 2020 program, there are several requirements that must be gathered to ensure that the application process is fair and detailed. These requirements include:
- The Yenching Scholars 2020 program application form that is filled with correct information.
- A personal statement about the candidate with a limit of 750 words.
- A Curriculum Vitae that entails the candidate’s professional experience.
- Official transcripts that are verified by his or her institution.
- Diplomas and/or certificates that shows the candidates’ enrollment.
- Letters of recommendation from two credible figures.
- Actual proof of English fluency through one of these listed tests:
- IELTS (Academic): Overall 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall 100
- Cambridge English Scale (Advanced): Overall 185
- CEFR: C1 level
- CET 6: Overall 600
- TEM 4: Pass level of “良好” or above.
Regarding the English proficiency test results, there are two things that need to be taken note of:
- If you come from a country where English is the first language and have a degree from an English language-based program, you are not obliged to provide proof of your fluency in English.
- Candidates who are planning to provide test scores from IELTS, TOEFL, and Cambridge, make sure you have these organizations directly send the test scores to Yenching Academy of Peking University.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for the Yenching Scholars 2020 Program, please pay attention to these notes as different types of candidates are required to undergo through different application processes.
For Mainland Chinese Candidates, applications for candidates qualified to exempt from the National Postgraduate Entrance Examination are still going on. Please refer to this website page for more information.
For Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan Candidates, applications for the Yenching Schoalrs 2020 program are currently open. Besides applying through both the university’s internal process and the Yenching Academy admissions portal, candidates from these three locations are required to fill out a supplementary application which can be accessed here.
For International Candidates who want to study in China, applications for the Yenching Schoalrs 2020 program are currently open. Future applicants are required to apply through both the university’s internal process and the Yenching Academy admissions portal. No supplementary application is required to be filled out and submitted by International Candidates.
Applications for the Yenching Scholars 2020 Program are closed on Friday, 6th of December 2019, at 12:00PM Beijing Time.
- Address: Jingyuan Courtyard 3, Peking University, 5 Yiheyuan Road , Haidian District, Beijing , Municipality of Beijing , 100871
- Telephone: 86-10-6276 8302 (Ms. Wu Yue Elaine, Alumni Relations Officer)
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://yenchingacademy.pku.edu.cn