Are you looking for art scholarships? If you are, have you considered pursuing a degree in art? If you have a passion for art and creativity, a degree in art could be just what you’re looking for to express yourself. Art may not be a vocational subject that leads to a specific career, but it will definitely help you prepare for the work field. The skills you gain during your degree in art are likely to be highly valued and transferable to many sectors, including specialized art careers as well as many general graduate roles.
Interested yet to major in art? In this article, you will find a brief overview of the benefits in majoring in art, specifically fine art. You will also find art scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for to help fund your studies in another country.
Benefits from a Degree in Fine Art
Fine art is art developed primarily for aesthetics or beauty, distinguishing it from decorative art or applied art, which also has to serve some practical function, such as pottery or most metalwork.
Historically, the five main fine arts were painting, sculpture, architecture, music, and poetry, with performing arts including theater and dance. In practice, outside education, the concept is typically only applied to the visual arts. The old master print and drawing were included as related forms to painting, just as prose forms of literature were to poetry. Today, the range of what would be considered fine arts commonly includes additional modern forms, such as film, photography, video production/editing, voice over, design, and conceptual art.
With an art degree, you can fulfill your creative potential, work alongside and get to know other creative individuals, learn cutting-edge and innovative technical and conceptual skills, study with active professional designers and artists, define and solve problems critically and holistically, create in first-rate labs and studios, explore art history and contemporary art, interact with famous visiting artists and designers, obtain national and international art related travel opportunities, prepare for a satisfying and fulfilling (awesome) career, and most importantly, love what you do for the rest of your life.
The prospective specialized art careers for art graduates are, but are not limited to, the following:
- Fine artist
- Graphic designer
- Arts administrator
- Teacher/university lecturer
Art Scholarships for International Students
If you are passionate about arts and creativity, and you want to pursue a degree or conduct research regarding art studies in another country, you may want to check out the following art scholarships available to international students.
- Support Creativity Undergraduate Scholarship: Scholarship based on student’s creative project, essay, and a demonstration of financial need. The project can be done in absolutely any medium (drawing, painting, animation, digital media, film, etc.). Submit an essay that explains the piece of work. Available to students attending a college or graduate school in the New York Tri-state area, majoring in any creative field, and passionate creative students. The scholarship is worth $1,000 each.
- Freshman Art & Design Scholarships at USI: Scholarships for incoming University of Southern Indiana (USI) freshmen who major in art or art education. the numerous USI Freshman Art Scholarship Awards range from $500-$2,000 and are automatically renewed for each of the following three years if the recipient remains an art or art education major, maintains his/her full-time enrollment status and remains in good academic standing. All USI Scholarship Awards apply to student tuition.
- Visual Arts Scholarships at Concordia College: Four-year awards for incoming first-year and transfer students. Scholarship amounts range from $2,000-$6,000 per year. For first-year students, the scholarship is guaranteed through your sophomore year and is renewable for juniors and seniors, provided you maintain a 3.0-grade point average and are recommended by the faculty.
- Krylon Clear Choice Art Scholarship: Five $1,000 scholarships; complete with a gift package of Krylon Artist Sprays and Adhesives. In addition, the art program at each winner’s school will receive a $500 grant and a large gift package of Krylon Artist Sprays and Adhesives.
- Art and Design Scholarships at UNSW: Various art scholarships for students of all levels enrolled at the University of New South Wales, Australia, in the Department of Art and Design. International students are eligible.
- UNSW Exchange Equity Scholarships: Valued $5,000, available for one year.
- UNSW Chinese Community Scholarship: Valued $7,000, available for one year to high school leavers.
- Bill Pardy University Challenge Award: Valued $5,000, available for one year to full-time undergraduate students who have completed at least one year of study at UNSW.
- Freedman Curatorial Award: A one-year award worth $5,000 to encourage and support current students enrolled in a UNSW Art & Design coursework degree program.
- Art, Fashion and Textiles Scholarships at RMIT University: A range of scholarships for students currently enrolled in an art, fashion or textiles degree at RMIT University in Australia.
- International Tuition Fee Scholarships: Two international tuition fee scholarships: the RTP International Fee Offset Scholarship (RIFOS) and the RMIT Research International Tuition Fee Scholarship (RRITFS). Both RIFOS and RRITFS scholarships provide tuition fees for a period of 3 years, with the possibility of a 6-month extension.
- PhD Scholarship in Computational Design (Architecture): A PhD scholarship available for a candidate to undertake research in generative design and the fabrication of complex geometries, with a focus on computational design, as part of the RMIT Boeing Research Alliance. Valued up to $40,000 per annum for three years with possible six-month extension: $30,000 per year funded by the School of Architecture and Design, RMIT University; $10,000 per year top-up scholarship from Boeing. If the selected candidate is international the School of Architecture and Design will provide a full tuition fee waiver and Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of candidature.
- Courtauld Postgraduate Scholarships: Graduate scholarships to art school at the Courtauld Institute of Art in London, UK, on the MA, PhD or Conservation programs.
- DAAD Fine Art, Design / Visual Communication and Film Scholarships: Fine art and design scholarships funded by the DAAD and open to international students who have gained a first degree in a related field. Scholarship winners will gain funding for study in Germany on a master’s degree or postgraduate program.
- ECA Taught Master’s Scholarships at the University of Edinburgh: Graduate scholarships for art students offered by the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, UK, for master’s level study in the schools of architecture, art, design, history, or art or music.
- Middlesex University London Arts and Creative Industries Scholarship: Four scholarships are available to study for a master’s degree at Middlesex University, covering up to half of the tuition fees. Open to UK/EU students and international students who are an alumnus of the university.
- Norwich University of the Arts Scholarships: A range of art and design scholarships to study at Norwich University in the UK.
- Royal College of Art Awards: Various fine art scholarships are on offer from the RCA and partner funding organizations.
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists: Postgraduate scholarships for art students, professionals, and researchers to study at a doctoral/postdoctoral level in Switzerland at a recognized institution.
- University of Westminster Schools of Media, Arts and Design Scholarship: One scholarship available for an international student from a developing country who holds an offer to study for a full-time master’s degree within the School of Media, Arts and Design at the University of Westminster. Provides a full tuition fee award, accommodation, living expenses, and flights to and from London.
- Lamar Dodd School of Art Scholarships at the University of Georgia: Various art school scholarships to study art at the University of Georgia in the US. Open to US and international students.
- College of Design at the University of Oregon: A range of art scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate students to study art, painting, sculpture, and other related programs at the University of Oregon in the US.
- Worldstudio AIGA Scholarships: Scholarships for art students from minority and disadvantaged backgrounds to study at an accredited institution in the US in the field of fine art, illustration, graphic design, and motion graphics.
- BestReviews Design Scholarship: Two design scholarships of US$2,000 are awarded per year to students enrolled in an accredited school program. To enter, you’ll need to write a 500-word essay on product design. Open to international and US students.
- Print and Graphics Scholarship Foundation: Graphic communication and graphic design scholarships for students enrolling in a two or four-year program at an accredited US institution.
- The Liz Claiborne Design Scholarship Award: Fashion design scholarships based solely on merit, are offered by the CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America). Open to students enrolled at design schools and accredited universities across the US.
- VCU Graphic Design Scholarships: Various graphic design scholarships are offered to enrolled students at Virginia Commonwealth University, School of the Arts, in the US.
- Istituto Marangoni Scholarships: Fashion and design scholarships are offered by Istituto Marangoni, an Italian fashion school with campuses across Europe.
- NABA, International Academy of Arts and Design in Milan: Scholarships to study Bachelor of Arts programs in design in English or Italian at NABA. The scholarships cover 40 percent of tuition fees.
- UAL Postgraduate Scholarships: Various graduate scholarships are offered by the University of Arts, London (UAL) for students pursuing art and design programs at one of its six colleges.
- Early Music Seminars – Westron Wynde – Taverner, Tye e Sheppard: Scholarships available for young, small, consort-singing vocal ensembles. The scholarships include enrolment fees, board for breakfast and lunch, lodging at the Residence of the International Study Center Vittore Branca, and travel in economy class (up to 700 EUR for intercontinental flights).
- Benno Geiger Scholarship for Studies on Literary Archives: 3-month residential scholarship (not extendable) offered to Italian and foreign graduate, postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers who must not be over 40 on 30 August 2019. The residential scholarship is divided into two types: A gross sum of 3,100 euros as a contribution to general expenses, travel, and board, paid in deferred monthly installments at the end of each month’s residency period by bank transfer only; Accommodation free of charge for three months in the Vittore Branca Center Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore and free use of the Vittore Branca Center facilities.
- Rijksmuseum Fellowship Program: Open to candidates of all nationalities and with varied specialisms. They may include art historians, curators, conservators, historians, and scientists. Candidates should have proven research capabilities, academic credentials, and excellent command of the English language – both written and spoken. Proficiency in a second language (ideally Dutch or German) is preferred but not required. Fellowships will be awarded for a duration ranging from 3-12 months.
14 thoughts on “27 Fine Art Scholarships for International Students”
My name is Bakar Aadan Abdirahman I,m from Somalia
I am intereste for this scholarship We need free education to blse because a somali person has found no vision.
I have completed high School at 2014 Until that time, I did not get a study because I was a poor lady.
If you can not help me help me tell me again.
i am intresting your scholarship my name is sintayehu Alamerew From Ethiopia Ihave MA peace and confelict resoution studies to given your free sholarship iam ready to learing any socal scince faculy tank you ።
I’ve completed high school in 2016 and now I’m studying in geography major at our country, I didn’t attend any courses because I’ve not enough to pay so I gave up everything I want.
Are there any chance for me? I need your help.
how can i apply for scholarships….?
I am firomsa tujuba from ethiopia i need this chance please contact me email@example.com
My name is tinashe chizah iam from Zimbabwe
Iam interested for this scholarship. ..I have completed high school last year (2018) …at my office levels I passed 4 subjects (history, shona “our local language “,commerce, science then at a level I did statistic(2) ,business studies(1), economics (0)…thnk you nd um looking foward tht you can help to get a scholarship to study abroad
Hello! I am parwana from Afghanistan.
I am interested to study.
I need a scholarship in bachular degree.
Please help me.
I have a degree in painting in fine arts academies in Bologna, I had to come to America to continue my study(2019-2020) and I look for a study grant
please contact me
i need this chance
I’m a visual artist…I’ve never went to an art school but art is my special talent,I’m an artist professionally. Can I get a scholarship?
Hello, I am also interested in this. I am from Montenegro, Europe and I have graduated in Visual arts in Macedonia. I hope I will get some good news :)))
Hello I am interested in this.I am from Pakistan and I have graduated in ceramics design in Pakistan.I hope I will get good news.
Hello, I am interested. I am from Lagos, Nigeria. I graduated in Graphic design in Fine and Applied Arts. I hope i will get a good news.
hey my name is fatima zafar from pakistan i am interested in this scholarship i my doing BBA but i want to study fine arts because art education in pakistan is realyy expensive so i really need this scholarship please contact me if i can get a chance thanks.
Comments are closed.