About Bilkent University UNAM
Bilkent University UNAM, founded as a ‘National Lab’ in Bilkent, promotes global scientific and technical innovation in the fields of nanoscience and nanotechnology covering, among others, various disciplines of materials science and engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, chemistry, and molecular biology.
The university’s distinguished faculty (over 45 faculty members) and world-class research infrastructure boasting ‘open lab’ concept (over 400 instruments) provide a vibrant R&D environment in a transdisciplinary ecosystem for approximately 400 researchers and staff to deliver top-tier scientific research work. Numerous prestigious prizes, grants, and scholarships have generously honored the UNAM faculty including:
- ERC (European Research Council)
- EMBO (European Molecular Biology Organization)
- NIH (US National Institute of Health) programs
- National Academy Memberships
- And numerous top national and international science awards
According to the Nature Index journal publications, as a quality indicator, Bilkent UNAM ranks No. 1 as the country’s Research Center, leading cumulatively to around 7.2 per cent of Turkey’s total Nature Index journal publications to present.
UNAM infrastructure in Bilkent has been chosen for a special large-scale plan under Law No. 6550 Funding Research Infrastructure with over 100 million TL of investment and operational expenditure. With this support, Bilkent UNAM acts as a national laboratory currently serving more than 1,350 users from industry (91 firms) and academia (102 universities). In fact, UNAM has contributed to the success stories of high-tech business practices (21 spin-offs, 93 patents).
In addition to its intensive and productive R&D programs, UNAM is also committed to educating high-caliber graduate students in Bilkent University’s Graduate Program in Material Science and Nanotechnology (MSN). Today Bilkent UNAM graduate alumni are strongly sought after in research and development environment.
UNAM is constantly increasing the bodies of graduate and post-doctoral researchers and scientists, and drawing nanotechnology expertise and other related fields from national and foreign institutions through competitive support programs aimed at reversing brain drain, including UNAM Bilkent University Presidential PhD / MS Fellowships and SANCAR Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Reasons to Study at Bilkent University UNAM
While set up as a research centre, UNAM has introduced its own M.Sc. And Ph.D. degree program as Materials Science and Nanotechnology Institute.
Research centers are typically focused on science and do not consider teaching as their main priority. But UNAM has a goal to educate highly skilled workforce. As a result, since 2008 UNAM has been offering the Materials Science and Nanotechnology (MSN) curriculum, which has become highly popular and attracts best students from Turkey and around the world.
As of 2018, UNAM has 35 M.Sc. students, 27 Ph.D. students and 1 special students. The number of international M.S. and Ph.D. students is gradually increasing.
About MSN Graduate Program Department of Materials Science and Nanotechnology
Present nanoscience and nanotechnology research involves specialized expertise of materials science which includes the design and manufacture of new and practical nanostructures.
The Materials Science and Nanotechnology graduate program is an interdisciplinary study which aims at improving students who are willing to conduct excellent which innovative work in the various fields of nanoscience and nanotechnology, such as:
- Nanobiotechnology and nanomedicine
- Atomic scale imaging
- Nano and microelectronics
- Femtosecond lasers
- Advanced materials design and manufacturing of nanofibers
- Nanotribology, hydrogen economy and solar energy
The graduate program has an in-depth knowledge of nanometer scale materials and delivers an outstanding teaching starting with the quantum theory of matter and quantum thermodynamics statistics. The graduate classes the students will be taking will concentrate on their thesis study.
The positive thing about being enrolled in the MSN Graduate Program at Bilkent University UNAM is that all students accepted to their graduate programs are given a full waiver of their tuition. Bilkent UNAM provides a wide variety of financial assistance programs for graduate students and prestigious fellowship/scholarship opportunities. These include:
- Bilkent UNAM Graduate Scholarship
- Scholarship from externally funded projects
- UNAM Bilkent University President Graduate Fellowship (formerly named Bilkent UNAM Graduate Fellowship)
- UNAM Scholarship for Young Women
Application Details for Master’s at Department of Materials Science and Nanotechnology
Applicants are required to have a B.S. degree in various fields of science (physics, mathematics, chemistry, molecular biology and genetics, etc), engineering (electrical and electronics, mechanical, chemical, materials science, metallurgy, food, etc.) or medicine. Applicants’ assessment is based on their ALES (GRE for non-Turkey applicants) scores, past academic reports, recommendation letters and the Bilkent University interview. Decent English language skills are needed.
The qualifications for the courses will be determined and the candidate is required for an interview in the event of admission.
In addition to at least 21 credit units of course work, the M.S. degree candidate must prepare and successfully defend a thesis. The duration of M.S. study is max. 6 semesters.
Students Housing Facility
The dormitories are equipped with single or bunk beds, tables, desk chairs, bookshelves or cabinets, wardrobes, baskets and mini fridges. All the rooms are free of charge with unrestricted high speed internet access. All dorms have common areas, such as kitchens/private rooms for self-cooking, TV/social lounges, study rooms, laundry and ironing rooms for self-service use, and game and guest areas or facilities. Central heating and 24-hour continuous hot water are standard, and each floor is further fitted with traditional bathrooms and toilets.
BSc graduates or students need at least 2.80/4.00 CGPA at the time of application.
Standardized Test Requirements
ALES is required from resident Turkish citizens who are applying for the graduate programs in range of < 55 (quantitative). Turkish citizens who are residents of foreign countries and those applicants who are not Turkish citizens may provide GRE scores instead of ALES, with the score ranging from 153 (quantitative). However, if you are off by a small margin and you have a strong background, we encourage you to apply.
TOEFL IBT(at least 87), IELTS (at least 6.5 average and 5.5 from each section) or Bilkent COPE (at least C).
In addition, foreign language requirements as imposed by Inter-universities Board (ÜAK) of Turkey (minimum of 55 from YDS or its equivalents as listed by the Board, in a language other than the mother tongue) must be satisfied by Turkish citizen PhD applicants.
You may also be eligible if you provide a COPE score of at least “C”, instead.
- Proof of Degree (if already obtained)
- Official Transcripts (most recent)
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Letters of Recommendation
How to Apply
- Visit the official application website for Department of Materials Science and Nanotechnology at http://stars.bilkent.edu.tr/gradapp/. Here candidates may apply study programs online. If you have applied before, you may login to update your application data or apply to a different program. Assuming this is your first time, click on “New Application”.
- On the new page, please fill in your personal identity information including email address, password, full name, Turkish National ID No. (for Turkish citizens), and phone numbers. After everything is filled, click “Apply”.
- You will be sent a confirmation message to your email address. Open the e-mail containing further application steps and validate your password.
- Login to your account.
- Choose “Graduate School of Engineering and Science”.
- Fill in the application form including personal information, identity, applying to Department of Materials Science and Technology and Program of Master of Materials Science and Nanotechnology, your contact information, high school, undergraduate degree, examinations and scores, references, statement of purpose, financial support, about your research, CV and supporting documents.
- Click “apply” to end the application process.
The deadline for Fall 2020-2021 Semester is:
- Early: 6 April 2020
- Regular: 31 May 2020
Date of Interview
Interviews will be conducted for candidates invited by the Department/Program at:
- Early: 27-29 April 2020
- Regular: 22-24 June 2020
Phones: +(90) (312) 290 1208 , +(90) (312) 266 4133
Fax: +(90) (312) 266 4126