To be a teacher is a noble aspiration. By transferring your knowledge and wisdom to the younger generations, you actually have contributed significantly to the development of a better future. If you aspire to become an educator, continue your higher education in Japan and make those dreams come true with the help of the MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship program.
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international teachers who wish to research school education at designated Japanese universities as Teacher Training Students under the MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship.
MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship provides opportunities for students from all over the world to apply. The winner is an excellent student who has been legally qualified by the jury after meeting the requirements imposed. In this article, however, we will especially present all the know-how Pakistani students need to take note of.
If this opportunity is what you have been looking for, then you should not delay preparing yourself. Know what you need to prepare before applying for the MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship and how to apply for it. The following guideline will aid you excellently in a seamless application procedure.
MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship Program Overview
Every year the Government of Japan offers a scholarship to Pakistani teachers who wish to research school education under the Monbukagakusho (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Government of Japan: MEXT) Scholarship Program.
This is a non-degree training course, but he/she will get a certificate after completing the required course at the university in Japan. This program is not designed for those who wish to enter Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctor’s degree courses.
MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship is presented to all students with an interest in teaching, regardless of applicants’ nationality. It aims to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between the grantee’s country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world.
The study/training is implemented only in the university study courses listed in the “Course Guide of Teacher Training Program.” This Course Guide is available from the MEXT’s website and the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of your nationality. The training at universities will be conducted in Japanese or English in principle.
The training mainly consists of:
- educational administration (examples: educational administration and finance, school management),
- educational methods (examples: classroom teaching, learning system theory, curriculum, and educational assessment),
- specialized subject research (examples: mathematics, physics, chemistry, and gymnastics), and
- observational tours and practice (examples: class observations, participation in special educational activities, and tours of educational research facilities).
The scholarship period is the necessary period for the completion of the accepting university’s training course, which should be between October 2021 (or the starting month of the course) and March 2023. This scholarship is valid for one period of admission only. Winners are not allowed to extend their scholarship period.
Please be aware that the purpose of this scholarship program is not to obtain an academic degree.
The lucky winner will get the following benefits:
- An allowance of ¥143,000 per month, or approximately $1,384 as of the date we publish this article, and a supplemental regional allowance of ¥2,000 or ¥3,000 per month will be added to the monthly scholarship amount for the grantees studying or conducting research in specially designated regions (subject to change);
- Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities (paid by MEXT);
- Reimbursement of airfare from and to Japan (subject to change).
MEXT accepts applications from international students to study in Japan who satisfy the following qualifications and conditions. To be eligible, you must:
- have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan;
- be born on or after April 2nd, 1986 (exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant could not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country);
- be graduates of universities or teacher training schools and have worked as teachers at primary/secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools (excluding universities) in their home countries for a total period of five years or more as of October 1st, 2021;
- be willing to learn Japanese;
- be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan;
- have the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan;
- submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that you have no physical or mental conditions hindering your study in Japan;
- be able to arrive in Japan by the designated period (usually September or October) between the day two weeks before the course starts and the starting date of the course;
- obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in your country of nationality, and enter Japan with the newly obtained residence status of “Student”;
- assure that you return to your home country by the end of the final month of the scholarship period and resume your work as a teacher at your primary/secondary educational institution or teacher training school.
Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country by the designated deadline. The submitted documents will not be returned.
- One (1) original and one (1) copy of Application Form,
- One (1) original Placement Preference Application Form,
- One (1) original and one (1) copy of certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university/teacher training school attended,
- One (1) original and one (1) copy of the diploma from the last university/teacher training school attended,
- One (1) original and one (1) copy of the certificate of employment,
- One (1) original and one (1) copy of the recommendation letter from your immediate supervisor at work,
- One (1) original and one (1) copy of a medical certificate, and
- A certificate of Japanese language ability (if applicable).
These documents must be written in Japanese or English, or translation in either of these languages should be attached. Write the document number, from 1 to 8 (refer to the numbers in the list above) in the upper right-hand corner of the first page for all the documents.
You must attach your photograph to the Application Form. It should be of clear quality, taken within six months of submission, and printed on paper specially for photographs. The photograph should be 4.5x 3.5 cm., upper-body, full-faced, and no hats. Please write your name and nationality on the back of the photograph. The photograph data can be pasted to the Application Form and printed out.
Regarding the Placement Preference Application Form, you should select preferred universities at most from the “Course Guide of Teacher Training Program” (available from the MEXT’s website and at the Japanese diplomatic mission in your country of nationality) and fill out the Placement Preference Application Form with your selected university names, course code, and teaching field.
Selected courses must be related to “20. Your research plan in Japan” described in your Application Form. Please be aware that if your selected courses are unrelated to your research plan, you will not be accepted by the university and will be unable to study in Japan under the MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship.
Furthermore, a copy of the diploma from your last university/teacher training school attended is acceptable if the copy is attested by the school authority concerned. Do not submit the original as the submitted certificate will not be returned.
How to Apply for a MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship
Fulfill all the requirements above and send your documents to the following address.
Public Affairs Section,
Embassy of Japan,
Diplomatic Enclave 1
However, if you are later declared as a candidate who has successfully advanced to the next stage, and you do not mind coming to Karachi for further interviews and tests, please send your application to the following address instead of what we have mentioned above.
Consulate General of Japan
6/2 Civil Lines
Abdullah Haroon Road
Make sure you have marked “MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship” on the front of your envelope.
The Embassy will only contact the shortlisted candidates by February 2021. If by then you have not received any calls, please accept that you are the unsuccessful one. Do not be discouraged. You can try your luck on other scholarships, such as the MEXT Scholarship 2021 at Yokohama National University or MEXT Scholarship Japan at Toyohashi University of Technology.
Submit your application before January 22nd, 2021. Make sure that you have fulfilled all the requirements and provided the necessary documents for late or incomplete submissions will not be taken into account by the selection team.
If you have any questions regarding this scholarship program, you can contact the two numbers below to get a more complete answer to what we have compiled here.
Tel.: +92 (21) 3522-0800 or +92 (51) 9072-500
Fax: +92 (21) 3522-0815
MEXT Teachers Training Scholarship Official Website
Are you interested in applying or need more information about the scholarship? Visit the website on the official website of the Embassy of Japan for Pakistan at https://www.pk.emb-japan.go.jp/itprtop_en/index.html.