Table of Contents
Studying in Japan is a dream come true for many, given its rapid advancements in research and technology. If you aspire to study in Japan, the MEXT Scholarship Japan may be your gateway to realizing this dream. In this comprehensive guide, we will provide you with the latest information on the MEXT Scholarship Japan for 2023, its benefits, eligibility criteria, application process, and important deadlines.
Introduction to MEXT Scholarship Japan
MEXT, short for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of Japan, has officially opened its scholarship application for the year 2023. This prestigious scholarship program offers three types of grants:
- Research Students (Non-degree)
- Master’s Degree (Degree)
- Doctoral Degree
Starting from October 2023, MEXT will be accepting applications for graduate studies at Toyohashi University of Technology (TUT).
About Toyohashi University of Technology (TUT)
Established in 1974 in Toyohashi city, TUT is dedicated to conducting research and education in technological science. Its primary focus lies in developing new technologies through scientific research that supports various technological advancements. TUT is renowned for its expertise in fields such as mechanical engineering, electrical and electronic information engineering, computer science and engineering, applied chemistry and life sciences, and architecture and civil engineering.
MEXT Scholarship Japan: Fostering Mutual Understanding
MEXT Scholarship Japan places a strong emphasis on candidates who are enthusiastic about fostering mutual understanding between Japan and their home countries. MEXT grantees are encouraged to actively engage in educational institutions and communities during their time in Japan. This can involve collaborating with universities on surveys, questionnaires, and relevant projects, even after returning to their home countries, to strengthen the ties between their homeland and Japan.
Application Process for TUT University
To pursue the MEXT Scholarship at TUT, candidates must complete the following three crucial steps:
- Selection by MEXT as Scholarship Grantees or Research Students
- Passing the Entrance Examination for TUT
- Recommendation by TUT at the university’s selection meeting
MEXT Scholarship Japan Benefits
The MEXT Scholarship Japan provides a limited number of scholarships based on competitive academic criteria. To support grantees, the scholarship program offers the following benefits:
- Allowance: The monthly allowance varies depending on the level of the course and may change each fiscal year, subject to the Japanese Government budget. It’s important to note that extended absence from the university can lead to scholarship revocation. As of the latest data, the allowances are as follows:
- Research students: Approximately 143,000 JPY per month
- Regular students enrolled in a master’s course: Approximately 144,000 JPY per month
- Regular students enrolled in doctoral courses: Approximately 145,000 JPY per month
- Travel Expenses: MEXT provides an economy-class airline ticket for transportation from the grantee’s home country to Japan, selecting the international airport closest to the grantee’s residence. After graduation, MEXT also provides an economy-class airline ticket for the return flight.
- Education Fee: TUT covers the educational fees for entrance examinations, matriculation, and tuition.
MEXT Scholarship Japan: Duration of Study
The duration of the scholarship varies depending on the program:
- Research Students (Non-degree): 18 months, starting from October 2023 until March 2025.
- Direct Enrollment in Master’s or Doctoral Programs: The scholarship duration corresponds to the standard period required to complete the program.
- Extension for Advanced Study: Grantees can apply for an extension if they wish to advance to a regular program in graduate school or proceed from a master’s program to a doctoral program. Meeting certain academic standards is necessary for this extension.
MEXT Scholarship Japan Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the MEXT Scholarship Japan, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- International students at the graduate school level.
- Demonstrated excellent academic achievement with a GPA equivalent to 2.30 (out of 3.00) or above in their most recent academic degree, maintaining this level throughout the scholarship period.
- Nationality corresponding to diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Nationality from countries designated as priority countries by the Japanese Government (list available on official link).
- Born on or after April 2, 1985.
- Academic background that aligns with the qualification requirements for entering a master’s or doctoral degree program at a Japanese graduate school.
- Good health, as judged by TUT, free from physical or mental conditions that could hinder studies in Japan.
- Arrival in Japan in accordance with the schedule set by TUT, typically on October 1st.
- Possession of a “Student” visa issued by the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country of nationality.
- Language proficiency in either Japanese or English, meeting specific criteria, such as passing the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) level N2 or achieving a grade equal to or higher than B2 on the European Common Language Reference Frame (CEFR) in English. Language test scores must be from within two years of the application date.
MEXT Scholarship Japan Application Procedure
The application procedure involves several steps:
- Confirm eligibility, including grade point average (GPA).
- Identify and contact a prospective supervisor to discuss research objectives.
- Refer to the List of Faculty Members on TUT’s website for finding a prospective supervisor.
- After receiving the supervisor’s acceptance, send the required application documents to TUT before the application deadline.
MEXT Scholarship Japan Application Documents
Applicants must prepare and send the following documents:
- Application form for Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship (Template format)
- Field of Study and Research Plan (Template format)
- Official Academic Transcripts from both undergraduate and graduate schools (Originals or Certified copies)
- Certificate of Graduation or Provisional Certificate from both undergraduate and graduate schools (Originals or Certified copies)
- Publication list for MEXT Scholarship Application (Template format)
- Abstract of Thesis (if completed) or a description of your thesis research in progress
- Proof of high-performance or good achievement record (e.g., Certificate of Distinction, academic ranking, Grade Point Average, etc.)
- Photograph (4.5×3.5cm, taken within the past six months, upper body, full-faced, no hats, with name and nationality written on the reverse side; digital format is also acceptable)
- Certificate of language proficiency (e.g., TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, or Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
- Photocopy of passport (relevant pages)
- Declaration sheet for MEXT Scholarship Application (Template format)
- Check list of documents for Japanese Government Scholarship (Template format)
- Academic Performance Entry Sheet (Template format)
- Recommendation Letter from the Dean of the department or a person in a senior position at the university. The letter must clearly display the writer’s contact details, and it should be addressed to “the President of Toyohashi University of Technology.”
MEXT Selection Method
The selection process involves the following steps:
- Screening of submitted documents.
- Online interview conducted by prospective supervisors using platforms such as Skype.
- Selection of successful candidates, considering various factors, including academic performance, university relationships, recommendation letters, and more.
MEXT Scholarship Japan Application Deadline
Mark your calendar with the crucial date: The application deadline for the MEXT Scholarship Japan is January 31, 2023. After this date, you will need to await the next application period.
MEXT Result Announcement
Once the application process concludes, keep an eye out for the following notifications:
- Selection of TUT Recommended Candidates: Applicants will receive an email notifying them of the screening results by the end of March 2023 (tentative).
- Selection of Scholarship Grantees: Candidates will be notified of MEXT’s decision by email by the end of June 2023 (tentative).
Tips to Secure the MEXT Scholarship
Winning the MEXT Scholarship is a competitive endeavor, but with dedication and proper preparation, you can increase your chances of success. Best of luck on your journey to study in Japan!