Physical therapy is a widely known area of study, and that’s a growing market for a good reason. But if you think twice about getting a degree in physical therapy because of the rising cost of education, you should know there are scholarships out there to help you pay the way. Many physical therapy programs offer scholarships to the enrolled students at accredited universities. As well as offering scholarships to aspiring physical therapists, private foundations, local service clubs and industry organizations. These scholarship requirements may include good academic standing, proof of financial need, evidence of community service, and a student-submitted essay outlining academic and career goals.
Check out the explanation why you need to consider taking physical therapy as your further education and a list of physical therapy scholarships below to find one that works for you.
Benefits of Studying Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is a rewarding profession which helps people improve the quality of their lives. As vital workers in the fast-growing healthcare system, physical therapists play a key role in the rehabilitation of patients from a medical condition or illness. Physical therapists also introduce patients to exercises and wellness programs leading to healthier lifestyles, often enhancing mobility and reducing surgical need.
Physical therapists work with other health professionals, under the supervision of a physical therapist, to provide physical therapy services. As a PT, you will implement the selected components of patient treatment, acquire data relating to the interventions provided, and then make any changes to the interventions chosen either for the patient’s progress or to ensure the patient’s comfort or safety. You will also treat patients of varying ages, from newborns to senior patients with medical problems or health-related conditions that prevent them from moving or carrying out other activities.
Though a career as a physical therapist, like many other careers, has its own obstacles, there are several reasons why you should consider it.
Choose your work setting and location
You could work with patients of all ages across the country, as a physical therapist. You could choose from multiple locations and work settings, including schools, nursing homes, hospitals, outpatient clinics, private practices, sports and fitness facilities, and home health services.
A physical therapist career is a great option in the currently struggling labor market. There is a high demand for physical therapist assistants, particularly due to the aging baby boomers who are more prone to health and disabling conditions that require a physical therapist’s services.
Opportunity to make differences
As a physical therapist, you’ll work with patients one-on-one while watching them advance through medication. There’s no better source of happiness than knowing you make a difference in the lives of others. Whether the original issue was due to an injury or illness, physical therapists are helping their patients return to maximum function. You will also work with patients to help prevent loss of mobility.
The career of physical therapist is hugely flexible. There are very few career paths that will give you the choice between working per diem or part-time. Even careers that allow flexible scheduling seldom provide the high pay enjoyed by physical therapist assistants. Do you plan on traveling the world? You can work for just a few days a month as a per diem physical therapist, and come home to a job that pays well.
List of Physical Therapy Scholarships
If you are interested in pursuing a rewarding career in this in-demand field, the following are the most generous physical therapy scholarships specifically for students enrolled in this accredited programs.
- TUMS School of Rehabilitation Scholarship: Tehran University of Medical Sciences offer an unlimited number of awards for international students interested in enrolling to one of these programs: Audiology, Physical Therapy, Sports Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy. All accepted applicants will be awarded scholarship type C. You will receive USD 4,643 as TUMS financial assistance for your first-year expenses.
- Dean’s International Scholarship for Occupational Therapy & Physiotherapy (Physical Therapy): In 2016 the College of Health and Life Sciences (CHLS) of Brunel University London introduced the Dean’s Occupational Therapy Scholarship & the Dean’s Physiotherapy/Physical Therapy Scholarships) for international students as part of Brunel’s celebrations of its 50th anniversary. The scholarship is proudly continued for another year. This scholarship is only available to full-time international students and will only be paid once for each eligible level of study, subject to meeting progression requirements. 80 scholarships are available for September 2020 entry, 20 per program.
- Regis University Physical Therapy Scholarships: Ten Dean’s Scholarships in the amount of USD 20,000 per scholarship to each incoming class are awarded based on academic achievement, university mission fit, and diversity. All students admitted to the program are considered for the scholarships and notified with their admission decision if selected. These scholarships are spread out over eight semesters and applied towards tuition.
- Azusa Pasific University Physical Therapy Graduate Student Assistantships: Third-year Doctor of Physical Therapy students are eligible to apply for one of five graduate assistantships valued at $6,000 plus 50 percent remission of the third year’s tuition. Students awarded graduate assistantships are expected to work an average of 15 hours/week for one full year, assisting instructors with classroom and research duties.
- Idaho State University Physical Therapy Scholarships: Must be a third year Doctor of Physical Therapy student upon entering the third year of study or a Master of Occupational Therapy student entering their final year of study. Award shall be given to an unmarried female who is in good academic and clinical standing. Recipients must demonstrate professional initiative in both academic and clinical endeavors. If no qualified female candidates, the award may be given to a qualified male or female international student. Scholarships awarded by Faculty Recommend.
- UTHSCSA Greehey Scholars in Children’s Health: Established in 2007, and a shared scholarship between the School of Nursing and the School of Health Professions, Greehey Endowed Scholarships support students who have a special interest in children’s health sciences, children’s cancer, or other complex diseases of childhood. Greehey scholars will help address the severe shortage of nurses, especially nurse practitioners, and allied health professionals, such as respiratory therapists, physical therapists, hearing specialists and physician assistants. These scholars will also fill a critical need to better meet the urgent health care needs of families, especially those with children who have cancer or other chronic illnesses.
Those are some of the physical therapy scholarships that you may be interested. But interested only is not enough, you need give more efforts to get it. If you have been fight but the result was unsatisfied, then these best courses for medical students will be an alternative. Join the courses and get certificates!