Education is one of the most important aspects in achieving career goals. People around the world believe that the higher your educational qualifications are the higher chances you will get to be promoted in your workplace.
There are many ways in achieving higher educations. You can study in your home country or abroad – whichever way you like. If you are one who seeks a different environment to study in, you might as well like to try applying to a Russian university. If you need financial support to do so, you may want to take a look at the following Russian scholarship opportunities.
Russia Government Scholarships
The Ministry of Science and Education of the Russian Federation offers annual scholarships for foreign students. The scholarships are aimed at those who have finished their studies in secondary school or vocational school (school, technical school, lyceum, etc.).
The grant provides free tuition and maintenance allowance for the entire duration of the chosen programme, regardless of your success in studying. The grant also covers education at preparatory faculty for those wanting to improve ability in Russian language before attending a degree programme. Monthly payment and dormitory accommodation are also included. However, the grant does not cover travel costs, living expenses and voluntary health insurance.
In order to be eligible to receive the scholarships, you must meet a certain number of criteria and pass the entrance exams or the Uniform State Examinations (EGE) in your home country. You can find Russian scholarship announcements on websites of the Rossotrudnichestvo representation or the Russian Embassy in your country. Contact the united operator (a representative office of Rossotrudnichestvo, a representative of Rossotrudnichestvo at the Embassy of Russia, or a Russian Embassy) in your country to check the fields of study and scholarship availability.
You may choose a programme and Russian university through the russia-edu.ru portal. You must be registered on the https://studyinrussia.ru portal and submit your application to be able to participate in the entrance exams. On the application website, you will be required to fill out an electronic form and indicate the following points.
- Personal information
- Profession, specialization or field of study you are applying for (you can change this information at any time before completing the relevant tests)
- Level of your current education
- Level of Russian language ability
You may choose up to six Russian universities to study in (from those universities available within the quota), but no more than three in one Federal Constituency; in Moscow and St. Petersburg – no more than two in each city. Enter your university choices in a descending order, starting from the one you prefer the most.
Other things you will need to provide within your application are:
- A copy of your passport (must be valid for at least 18 months from the date of your planned arrival in Russia) or a copy of your birth certificate.
- Copies of documents/certificates confirming your current level of education and/or qualification received in a foreign state.
These documents may be submitted in hard copy to the united operator.
Once you have finished submitting your application, you may wait for an invitation to participate in the selection process (interviews, tests, examinations). Depending on the country, invitations can be published on the website or directly sent to your e-mail – same thing goes to final results announcements after the selection process. As a selected candidate, you must prepare additional documents of the following, and attach them to the electronic form and submit it online or deliver them in hard copy to the operator.
- A doctor’s certificate (medical certificate) confirming that there are no medicl reasons not to accept you to a Russian university, including the results of an HIV test.
- Copies of documents (notarized and translated into Russian).
After you have completed the aforementioned procedure, you will receive a letter/notification confirming your enrolment in the university you have chosen. This notification will also contain information about your next steps.
For further details, contact the Rossotrudnichestvo representation at your country or the international office of the university you have chosen.
Open Doors: Russian Scholarship Project
The Open Doors: Russian Scholarship Project is a scholarship programme supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation and is organized by the Global Universities Association. The programme encourages undergraduates to compete for an opportunity to study tuition-free in one of Russia’s prestigious universities. The winners of this programme will be given the chance to choose from over 500 Russian universities, including the ones that made it to the international ranking list.
The competition is held in English and Russian and is open to citizens of all countries other than Russia, stateless citizens and Russian citizens who are permanent residents of other countries. It is not necessary to come to Russia to participate in the competition, for the competition will be held online. However, it is mandatory that you hold a bachelor’s degree to be qualified to join the competition.
You may choose more than one of the following subject areas and its tracks:
- Ecology and Management of Natural Resources
- Agricultural Soil Science
- Landscape Architecture
- Computer Science
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Information Systems and Technologies
- Applied Computer Science
- Software Engineering
- Information Security
- Infocommunication Technologies and Communication Systems
- Instrumentation Technology
- Mechatronics and Robotics
- Technical Systems Management
- Intelligent Systems in Humanities
- Design and Technology of Electronic Devices
- Fundamental Informatics and IT
- Applied Mathematics and Informatics
- Mechanics and Mathematic Simulation
- Applied Mathematics
- Guidance, Navigation and Control
- System Analysis and Control
- High Technology and Innovation Economic
- Business and Management
- Human Resource Management
- State and Municipal Administration
- Politics and International Studies
- State and Municipal Administration (Programme Population and Development)
- Legal Studies
- Political Science
- International Relations
- Foreign Regional Studies
- Psychological and Pedagogical Education
- Arts and Human Science
- Applied Mathematics and Physics
- Radio Physics
- Radio Engineering
- Design Engineering and Electronic Instrumentation Technology
- Electronics and Nanoelectronics
- Optical Engineering
- Photonics and Optical Informatics
- Biotechnical Systems and Technology
- Laser Engineering and Laser Technology
- Heat-Power Engineering and Heating Engineering
- Power-Plant Engineering
- Nuclear Physics and Technologies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Technological Machinery and Equipment
- Applied Mechanics
- Technology Processes and Productions Automation
- Engineering and Technological Support for Machinery Productions
- Applied Physics
- High-Tech Plasma and Power Plants
- Oil and Gas Engineering
- Land-Utilization and Cadastral Register
- Geodesy and Remote Sensing
- Materials Science and Technology
- Transport Process Technology
- Ground Transport and Technological Complexes
- Operation of Transport and Technological Machines and Complexes
- Ballistics and Aerohydrodynamics
- Nanotechnologies and Microsystem Technology
- Philology and Linguistics
- Fundamental and Applied Linguistics
- Chemistry, Physics and Mechanics of Materials
- Finance and Credit
Winners will be accepted to the chosen Russian university without entrance exams before the general admissions process. They may also choose to be enrolled in a Russian taught or English taught programme. In cases of programmes fully taught in Russian, winners may begin with a one-year intensive foundation course of Russian as a foreign language.
To participate in the competition, prepare your portfolio including, but not limited to, research papers, certificates, awards and honours that you have ever received. Visit https://od.globaluni.ru and click on ‘Participate!’ when the programme is open for registration, to join the competition. You can also visit the website for more information about the programme and/or updates on the programme.