10 US Government Scholarships for College and University Students

Looking to study abroad but worried about the cost? Good news! There are hundreds of US government scholarships to study abroad, including general scholarships and more specialized funding schemes.

US Government Scholarships
Photo: @keira-burton on pexels.com

Searching through all the international scholarships out there can be a pretty mammoth task. Nevertheless, we’ve tried to make this easier by creating lists of scholarships to study abroad, grouped into various categories.

These include lists of international scholarships to study abroad in a particular country, scholarships to study a particular subject, and scholarships targeting particular groups of students.

In short, have a browse of the lists below to see which categories apply to you.

1. Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

The US Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad.

In fact, the Institute of International Education has administered the program since its inception in 2001.

Furthermore, over 3,600 scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded for US citizen undergraduates to study or intern abroad.

In particular, students can use these US government scholarships to cover the cost of their study or internship abroad that include:

  • Tuition,
  • Room and board,
  • Books,
  • Local transportation,
  • Insurance,
  • International airfare, and
  • Passport and visa fees.

However, to be eligible for a Gilman Scholarship, an applicant must be:

  • A citizen of the United States;
  • An undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (including both two-year and four-year institutions);
  • Receiving a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of their study abroad program or internship;
  • In the process of applying to, or accepted to, a credit-bearing study abroad or internship program, or a virtual international program of at least two weeks for community college students and three weeks for students from four-year institutions; and
  • Applying for credit-bearing study abroad programs in a country or area with an overall Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2, according to the US Department of State’s Travel Advisory System.

In summary, students can find more resources on Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program by clicking here.

2. Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program

The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program is a summer study abroad opportunity for American college and university students.

Fascinatingly, students can learn languages essential to America’s engagement with the world through the program.

READ ALSO:  How to Win the Cameron Impact Scholarship: Step-by-Step Guide

In particular, the CLS Program offers instruction in fifteen critical languages:

  1. Arabic
  2. Azerbaijani
  3. Bangla
  4. Chinese
  5. Hindi
  6. Indonesian
  7. Japanese
  8. Korean
  9. Persian
  10. Portuguese
  11. Punjabi
  12. Russian
  13. Swahili
  14. Turkish
  15. Urdu

Moreover, the CLS Program covers most of the costs of participating in its overseas institutes, including:

  • International and domestic travel between the student’s US home city, Washington, D.C., and the CLS Program site,
  • Visa application fees,
  • Costs associated with the mandatory pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C.,
  • Language instruction, room, board, program-sponsored travel within the host country,
  • All entrance fees for program activities,
  • Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) language assessments, and
  • US academic credit issued through Bryn Mawr College.

Ultimately, this guideline containing FAQs on Critical Language Scholarship can help potential applicants to discover more about the program.

In particular, it also discusses the eligibility requirements and application procedure.

3. Fulbright US Student Program

The Fulbright US Student Program provides grants for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs.

In particular, it offers research, study, and teaching opportunities in over 140 countries to recent graduates and graduate students.

Applicants for the Fulbright US Student Program include:

  • Recent graduates,
  • Master’s and doctoral candidates, and
  • Young professionals (e.g. writers, creative and performing artists, journalists, and those in law, business, and other professional fields).

Conclusively, please consult the following guideline for details on the program.

4. The Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX)

The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) scholarship is available for motivated high school students who want to experience a culture and learn a language through a full immersion experience.

Furthermore, the CBYX program provides 350 scholarships for high school students, high school graduates in vocational fields, and young professionals for an academic year home-stay program.

The scholarship covers costs to participate in program activities, including:

  • Round-trip international transportation between the US gateway city and the applicants’ host community in Germany,
  • Medical benefits,
  • Lodging and meals provided by a volunteer host family,
  • Approximately one-month of language training upon arrival in Germany,
  • Tuition and academic materials,
  • Costs associated with obtaining a German residence permit/visa,
  • In-country support, and
  • Transportation (while in Germany), lodging, and meals for participation in required program activities, such as the mid-year seminar and program-wide end-of-year activities in Berlin and Washington, D.C.

Generally, to be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be:

  • A US citizen,
  • Aged 15 to 18 ½ on August 1 of the program departure year,
  • A current high school student at the time of application, with a GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale,
  • Interested in learning the German language (no German language study/knowledge is required to apply), and
  • Complying with US Department of State eligibility policy for American Outbound Youth Programs.

On a final note, applicants interested in applying for the CBYX scholarship should visit this link to discover more about the program.

5. The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships

The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships program provides allocations of the academic year and summer fellowships to institutions of higher education or consortia of institutions of higher education to assist meritorious undergraduate students and graduate students undergoing training in modern foreign languages and related area or international studies.

In fact, FLAS grants (allocations of fellowships) are awarded to institutions for a four-year project period.

Furthermore, institutions conduct competitions to select eligible undergraduate students and graduate students to receive fellowships, in accordance with FLAS program eligibility requirements and the institutions’ FLAS selection procedures.

Nevertheless, to apply for a FLAS award, students must first be enrolled at an institution that has received an allocation of FLAS fellowships for their language/world region of interest.

All in all, potential candidates can read additional information on these US government scholarships here.

6. Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship

The scholarship seeks to increase undergraduate training in oceanic and atmospheric science, research, technology, and education and foster multidisciplinary training opportunities.

Also, the Hollings Scholarship Program provides successful undergraduate applicants with awards that include academic assistance (up to $9,500 per year) for two years of full-time study and a 10-week, full-time paid ($700/week) internship at an NOAA facility during the summer.

Moreover, to be eligible to apply for the Hollings Scholarship, at the time of application applicants must:

  • Be a US citizen,
  • Be currently enrolled or accepted at an accredited college or university within the United States or US territories as undergraduate students,
  • Earn and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent on another identified scale) each term, as well as an overall GPA of 3.0 in your major field of study, and
  • Have and maintain a declared major in a discipline including, but not limited to oceanic, environmental, biological, and atmospheric sciences, mathematics, engineering, remote sensing technology, computer and information science, physical and social sciences including geography, physics, hydrology, geomatics, or teacher education that support NOAA’s programs and mission.

In a nutshell, applicants can refer to this guideline for additional information on the program.

7. Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program

Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program provides support for master’s and doctoral degrees in oceanography, marine biology, or maritime archaeology.

Particularly, it encourages women and members of minority groups to apply.

Applicants who meet the following requirements are eligible for US government scholarships.

  • Their research proposal aligns closely with NOAA’s mission, with particular emphasis on meeting the science needs of the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries.
  • Their financial need statement documents a strong financial need due to challenges, hardships, or other information through a compelling personal narrative.
  • They (likely) have exceptional letters of recommendation.
  • Historically, proposals that do not support the science needs of NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuary System do not rank as high.
  • If they are in the last year of your Masters or Ph.D. program, it is not advised to apply for this scholarship.
READ ALSO:  How to Get the Golden Apple Scholarship: 2023 Guide

In summary, students can find more resources on the scholarship program by clicking here.

8. Cobell Scholarship

Cobell Scholarship is annual, non-renewable, and available to any full-time and degree-seeking American Indian or Alaska Native post-secondary student.

Furthermore, applicants must plan to attend or be attending any nationally, regionally and industry accredited nonprofit, public and private, institution.

Also, applicants must be pursuing a vocational certificate or diploma, associate’s, bachelors, masters, doctoral or professional degree, or certificate.

Conclusively, please consult the following guideline for details on the US government scholarships.

9. Hubert Global Health Fellowship

The fellowship provides third- and fourth-year medical and veterinary students with public health experience in a developing country.

Besides, this program offers assignments during 6- or 8-week rotation periods largely based at CDC in Atlanta, Georgia.

Furthermore, students are eligible to apply if they are currently enrolled in the US accredited medical or veterinary school and have completed 2 years of coursework.

In particular, to be eligible for the program, applicants must be:

  • a US citizen,
  • a medical or veterinary student when applying: candidate for either DO or MD or candidate for either DVM or VMD,
  • enrolled full-time in a US-accredited medical or veterinary school located in the United States, with at least 2 years completed by July 1 of the application year, and
  • available for one of the set rotations.

On a final note, applicants interested in applying for the fellowship should visit this link to discover more about the program.

10. Saul T. Wilson, Jr., Internship

As a Saul T. Wilson, Jr., intern, you will experience the real-world situations facing Federal regulatory veterinarians every day.

Furthermore, working in the field, you may:

  • Assist with veterinary technician duties;
  • Observe and/or conduct testing and identification activities to support disease management programs for livestock such as cattle, swine, and cervids;
  • Contact owners to schedule animal disease testing;
  • Attach animal identification tags and help with recordkeeping;
  • Draw blood samples for laboratory testing;
  • Brand animals that react to certain tests; or
  • Help supervise disinfection and cleaning at affected sites.

Moreover, the Saul T. Wilson, Jr., Internship provides students:

  • Up to $7,500 per year for undergraduate studies and up to $15,000 for graduate studies for tuition, books, tutors, and laboratory fees.
  • Paid employment during summer and school breaks as a Veterinary Student Trainee, participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System and Thrift Savings Plan (401K), and paid vacation and sick leave. Based on the length of the work periods, compensation may also include health insurance benefits.
  • The possibility of conversion, without further competition, to a permanent appointment with APHIS upon successful completion with a D.V.M degree, training, and other work requirements.

However, upon entrance on duty, you must be:

  • A US citizen,
  • Enrolled as a full-time student and/or accepted for enrollment in an accredited veterinary college or university within the United States,
  • In good academic standing, and
  • Agreeing to work for the agency during school breaks for a minimum of 640 hours prior to completion of studies.

All in all, potential candidates can read additional information on these US government scholarships here.

Sorry, this content is protected by copyright.