Are you interested in doing studies and research in agriculture? SEARCA Full Masters and PhD Scholarships are an example of a scholarship that accommodates student interest in the field which you should consider.
The Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA) is a non-profit organization established by the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) in 1966.
Furthermore, SEARCA is hosted by the Philippine government on the campus of the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) in Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines.
As SEAMEO’s center of excellence in agriculture, SEARCA aims to:
- Provide to the participating countries high-quality graduate study in agriculture;
- Promote, undertake, and coordinate research programs related to the needs and problems of the Southeast Asian region; and
- Disseminate the findings of agricultural research and experimentation.
Consequently, SEARCA has regularly provided scholarships to students who have a strong interest in agriculture. Besides, of the ten scholarships, our focus today is on scholarships specifically available to Ph.D. and Masters.
Below, you can find out more about SEARCA Full Masters and PhD Scholarships. Ultimately, you will learn about the eligibility requirements and how you can apply for them.
SEARCA Full Masters and PhD Scholarships: Program Overview
SEARCA’s Graduate Study Program was initiated in School Year 1968/1969. Over five decades, the scope of the Graduate Study Program has expanded to include institutional development, networking, and services to enhance graduate education in the region.
Also, SEARCA has been providing services for the administration of scholarship funds under the sponsorship of institutions other than SEAMEO.
Furthermore, by the end of the academic year 2019/2020, SEARCA has granted a total of 1,736 full Masters and Ph.D. scholarships to nationals of SEAMEO member countries, namely:
- Brunei Darussalam,
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic,
- The Philippines,
- Timor Leste, and
Moreover, the scholarships are open for students to pursue advanced studies leading to masters and doctoral degrees in agriculture, forestry, and related sciences.
Ultimately, any one of the following universities under the University Consortium may serve as study posts of SEARCA Masters and Ph.D. scholars:
- Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB) – Bogor, Indonesia
- Kasetsart University (KU) – Bangkok, Thailand
- Universitas Brawijaya (UB) – Malang, Indonesia
- Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM) – Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) – Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
- University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) – Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
In particular, SEARCA Full Masters and PhD Scholarships will grant the following benefits to the successful applicants:
- Covers tuition and other school fees;
- Travel allowance (roundtrip air ticket from home country to study post and local transportation);
- Thesis/dissertation support;
- Book and supplies allowance;
- Health insurance; and
- Stipend for food, lodging, and incidental expenses.
In fact, the scholarships are open to nationals of SEAMEO member countries who are regular employees of academic or research institutions or government agencies.
Besides, applicants must not be more than 35 (Master’s Degree) or 40 (Ph.D.) years of age at the time of application.
In particular, areas of specialization that scholarship applicants must pursue should be in agriculture or related sciences. Thus, they include but are not limited to those that fall under the following program clusters:
- Agricultural/Biological Sciences
- Agro-industrial Technology and Engineering
- Economics and Agribusiness
- Environmental Sciences
- Forestry and Fisheries
- Social Sciences
Furthermore, proposed thesis research should focus on SEARCA’s overarching theme of Accelerating Transformation Through Agricultural Innovation (ATTAIN) with the following priority areas:
- Agri-Business Models for Increased Productivity and Income
- Sustainable Farming Systems and Natural Resource Management
- Food and Nutrition Security
- Transformational Leadership for Agricultural and Rural Development (ARD)
- Gender and Youth Engagement in ARD
- Enhanced ARD towards Climate Resilience
- EcoHealth/One Health Applications to ARD
All in all, all those who meet the above requirements are eligible for these scholarships.
How to Apply for SEARCA Full Masters and PhD Scholarships
Applicants must fill out online the SEARCA Scholarship Application Form and upload a copy of all required documents. Click here to download the form.
Also, they must submit a printout of the accomplished online application together with the original or certified true copies of uploaded documents to the Ministry of Education/Higher Education of the applicant’s own country.
That being said, you can click here to get the country-specific contact details/information.
Furthermore, they must submit the following documents in English:
- An original or certified true copy of the transcript of academic records bearing the seal of the University and original signature of the Registrar or Head of the University (Applicants for MS degree should submit their original/certified true copy Bachelor of Science (BS) transcript of records. Ph.D. degree applicants should submit their original/certified true copy BS and MS transcripts of records.);
- Original or certified true copies of certificates of completion/diploma for every degree completed;
- Certificate of employment;
- Endorsement from the employer;
- Updated curriculum vitae;
- Brief description of the research the applicant plans to conduct for thesis/dissertation. The research topic must be in line with SEARCA’s overarching theme of Accelerating Transformation Through Agricultural Innovation (ATTAIN) with the following priority areas: Agri-Business Models for Increased Productivity and Income, Sustainable Farming Systems and Natural Resource Management, Food and Nutrition Security, Transformational Leadership for Agricultural and Rural Development (ARD), Gender and Youth Engagement in ARD, and Enhanced ARD towards Climate Resilience, EcoHealth/One Health Applications to ARD.
- Certification from a medical doctor that the applicant is in good physical and mental health condition and is fit to undertake graduate studies; and
- IELTS result (6.0) or TOEFL iBT result (75) taken within two years before application, as proof of English proficiency.
The deadline for the Ministries to send endorsements to SEARCA is July 31st of every year.
Thus, applicants must check from their respective Ministries of Education/Higher Education for their deadline of receiving applications.
For inquiries, please contact:
Education and Collective Learning – Graduate Scholarship and Institutional Development (ECL-GSID)
Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA)
College, Los Baños, 4031 Laguna, Philippines
Tel.: +63 49 554 9330 to 39; +63 49 536 2290; +63 49 572 3743; +63 2 8657 1300 to 02 local 2200 to 2203
Fax: +63 49 536 7097
SEARCA Full Masters and PhD Scholarships Official Website
Visit the official website of SEARCA as the organizer of SEARCA Full Masters and PhD Scholarships at www.searca.org.