The United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan (USEFP) is a binational organization established in mutual partnership between the governments of Pakistan and the United States in 1950. USEFP is guided by a commission consisting of a comparable number of staffs between Pakistanis and Americans.
USEFP is one of 50 “Fulbright Comissions” located throughout the world. The USEFP has fostered an equivalent understanding between Pakistanis and the United States through educational and cultural exchanges since 1951, when the first group of Pakistanis traveled to America and in 1952 when the first Americans visited Pakistan. More than 5,000 Pakistanis and nearly 900 Americans have participated in exchange programs conducted by USEFP.
This foundation receives support and counseling from both the governments of Pakistan and the United States, but it is not an agency of any of them. USEFP leads a variety of programs that send Pakistani students and experts to American educational institutions, while bringing American scholars to campuses in Pakistan. The aim of all USEFP programs is to help Pakistanis learn more about the United States and at the same time help Americans gain more understanding of Pakistan and its people.
For Pakistanis, USEFP offers several specialist educational aid programs that will help accomplish their goals to study abroad, especially in US universities. One program that is worth considering is the Fulbright Degree Program.
About Fulbright Scholarship 2020
The Fulbright Masters and PhD Programs finance postgraduate education in the United States for a Masters’s or Ph.D. Supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), these programs are granted to cover tuition fees, required textbooks, airplane tickets, living costs, and health insurance for the recipients. USEFP also helps out with the visa process.
Eligible candidates will have either a four-year Bachelor’s degree or a combination of Bachelor’s and Master’s with a total of 16 years of formal education from an accredited university for a Masters degree program. Fresh graduates are highly encouraged to apply, except for the MBA and Public Policy / Administration applicants, who require 2 years of work experience.
Eligible candidates will have a Master’s. M.Phil or an equivalent degree (at least 18 years of formal education) from an accredited university for a PhD degree program. It is highly preferred that candidates have previous experience working in the field of pedagogy or teaching, research, or the public sector in Pakistan.
For both Masters and PhD programs, all scientific disciplines are eligible except clinical medicine. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all applicants. Under the new scoring system, a minimum score of 138 in the verbal session and 136 in the quantitative session is required. Applicants must also possess a high level of fluency in spoken and written English. All candidates will be asked to prove it through the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) certificate.
All successful candidates are asked to sign a contract with USEFP and, for the candidates for the Ph.D. successful, a bond with the HEC that binds them to return to Pakistan promptly after their courses in the United States and serves the country for several years which is equivalent to the length of the scholarship program they have applied. This contract can be redeemed on a year-for-year basis of a minimum of two years; as long as the candidates meet the terms of service, they will not pay for anything.
In 2021, USEFP anticipates to award 150 Fulbright scholarships.
- Pakistanis, residing and working in Pakistan, with strong academic backgrounds in all branches of knowledge
- Selected candidates are expected to share information about Pakistan’s life and culture with their American collaborators and with communities in the United States
- Upon their return to Pakistan, Fulbright scholarship recipients are also expected to share their experiences while studying in the United States with co-partners and communities in Pakistan
- Successful candidates should be prepared to assume leadership positions in their fields and must be obligated to returning and serving the country
- Students who have never studied in the United States or have been in a tenancy or work visa in any country before
- Students who have never formerly received a Fulbright scholarship
- Persons who don’t work for the Fulbright organization or U.S. Department of State
How to Apply
The complete application process includes:
- Fill in the application form at https://applications.usefpakistan.org/programs/fulbright/app/
- Insert three letters of reference and your GRE score report (register for the GRE at http://www.usefpakistan.org/Testing/GRE.cfm?Tab=Testing)
- Attach scanned transcripts, including an explanation of the grading scale of the university that issued the degree for uploading as well. HEC-attested documents are preferred by application but degrees and transcripts that are proven to be valid by issuing authority will be accepted at the time of application.
Applications must be submitted online before May 13, 2020. Applicants will not be charged anything to register. Fraudulent agents may try to sell application forms or collect fees to fill them. Applicants should fill out their own forms. Misrepresentation or plagiarism in any part of the application form may lead to discontinuation of the program.
Candidates only need to register and upload all required documents online. Paper-based documents and applications will not be accepted.
When you submit your form, an auto-generated e-mail will be sent to your referee to ask about your recommendation letter. Your referee then have the choice to submit the letter online or send a paper copy by mail to the USEFP office address before the deadline.
It will not be USEFP’s responsibility to confirm with you or your referee that they have received your recommendation letters, so please be careful when writing a valid address.
The applications will be accepted every year in February and the deadline for submission is around May. The application review and interview process continues through September and the results will be announced in mid-October. After selection, the university submission and placement process continues through February and visa interviews carry on with through June. Departures to the United States begin in July and thereafter, depending on the reporting dates of the universities concerned.
The application for the Fulbright Scholarship 2020 ends on May 13, 2020.
P.O Box 1128, Islamabad
Phone: (+9251) 8431300
Fax: (+9251) 8431555
P.O Box 1225, Lahore
Phone: (+9242) 35762466-7
P.O.Box 13806, Karachi
Phone: (+9221) 32630670
Link to Official Website
Should you have inquiries regarding the program, please visit https://www.usefpakistan.org.