KNB Scholarship Overview
The Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) Scholarship is a financial aid given by the Indonesian government to foreign students from developing nations to obtain their Master’s in Indonesian educational institutions.
At the 10th Conference of Heads of States of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) countries, which started in Bandung from 1-6 September 1992, the principle of providing scholarships by the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia for students coming from the NAM member countries was initially demanded.
Following the order, the Republic of Indonesia government began providing postgraduate (master degree) scholarships to students from the NAM member countries in 1993.
Since 2002 the use of the word “NAM” in this system has been deemed irrelevant due to the substantial change in the international political configuration.
The program name then changed to Kemitraan Negara Berkembang Scholarship or KNB Scholarship (Developing Countries Partnership).
As a result, the program has been extensively introduced to students, not just NAM member countries, but other developing countries such as Thailand, Fiji, Gambia, Senegal, Nigeria, Honduras, Suriname, Pakistan, Guyana, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, and Vanuatu too.
KNB Scholarship is held annually in order to fulfill its objectives as described below.
- Contributing to the development of human capital in developing countries;
- Fostering deeper cultural awareness within developing countries;
- Strengthening developing countries’ partnerships and cooperation.
The fellowship is given to prospective students from developing countries to pursue their Master’s degree in a wide range of areas of study (please note that the study program offered varies from university to university):
- Applied Linguistics
- Architectural Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Communication & Media Studies
- Community Empowerment
- Cultural Studies
- Economics/Development Study
- Educational Management
- Educational Research & Evaluation
- Educational Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Geological Engineering
- History Education
- Indonesian Education
- Informatics Engineering
- Instructional Education
- International Relations
- Literary Studies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Natural Science Education
- Naval Architect & Marine Engineering
- Out of School Education/Informal Education
- Pharmacy Studies
- Political Science
- Primary School Teacher Education
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Remote Sensing
- Social Science Education
- Sports Sciences
- Vocational & Technology Education
For more information about the study courses offered, please contact the University official mentioned in the appendix to the file below.
Download: KNB Scholarship Application Guidelines.pdf (489 KB)
The KNB Scholarship runs under the following program structure.
- Indonesian Language Training Program: A one academic year course in Indonesian Language (Bahasa) is a mandatory course for all KNB students as all classes required to complete the Master’s program (lecture and thesis) will be taught in Bahasa. Through University must deliver the Bahasa Course.
- Preparatory Program: Preparatory training will be structured in conjunction with the strategy and curriculum preparation of the University prior to the Master in Bachelor Degree Program.
- Academic Program: Total of 4 Master Degree semesters and total of 8 Bachelor Degree semesters. It is crucial for all KNB Scholarship students to consistently produce a good academic performance by cultivating a can – do mindset, stay focused, courteous and diligent to finish college successfully.
KNB Scholarship Values
For all of its recipients, the KNB Scholarship will compensate the following costs.
- New students will be given a settlement allowance of IDR 1,500,000 upon their arrival in Indonesia;
- The new students will only earn a living allowance of IDR 2,750,000 a month when taking the Indonesian language course and preparatory programs;
The KNB students will receive a monthly compensation scheme during the Masters Program as described below: 1) living allowance: IDR 2,750,000; 2) research allowance: IDR 400,000; 3) books allowance: IDR 350,000;
A health insurance with a fixed IDR 200,000 monthly premium (the difference should be paid by the recipient in case the expense of the medical services exceeds those provided by the health insurance);
A round-trip international flights (economy class) from the student’s home countries’ international airport to Indonesia including local transportation to the host university;
The length of the scholarship is linked solely to the duration of the academic course, as shown below:
- Indonesian Language Course and Master Preparatory Program: maximum 12 months
- Master Program: maximum 24 months (4 semester)
- Bachelor Program: maximum 48 months (8 semester)
The scholarship is paid during the regular study period for 12 calendar months each school year, except the last academic year of the normal study period when the scholarship is paid for 8 months. Please bear in mind that all scholarship awards will be stopped in case of early completion of the program by the time the awardee leaves for home (back to home country).
- The maximum age to apply for the scholarship is 35 years old.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor degree (master degree holder is not eligible to apply).
- Applicants must have a TOEFL or IELTS (or other certified English Proficiency Test) score of 80 or 6.0 or equivalent.
- Applicants must complete the online application form.
- Prior to the departure to Indonesia, the successful candidates must sign the Statement Letter and Scholarship Agreement prepared by the KNB Scholarship management.
How to Apply for KNB Scholarship
All application process is conducted online through the KNB Scholarship website https://knbscholarship.kemendikbud.go.id. Please be advised that soliciting is prohibited.
- Download the Invitation Letter (Available in the KNB Scholarship website);
- Submit the Invitation letter, Passport, Academic Certificates and Academic Transcripts to the Indonesian Embassy to acquire the recommendation letter;
- Complete the online application process;
- Selection process. The Selection Results will be announced online via the KNB Scholarship Website and officially announced through the Indonesian Embassy publication network.
Please prepare the required documents as mentioned below before the applying for the KNB Scholarship.
- Recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy in the respective country;
- Nomination letter from the respective government official (Ministry of Education, other related Government Agency – should the applicant works for the Government Agency, or Embassy of the Applicant’s Country of Origin in Indonesia);
- 2 Academic Recommendation letters;
- Scanned passport (personal data page only) or birth certificate;
- Scanned bachelor certificate and academic transcripts (in English);
- Scanned TOEFL or IELTS score certificate (or other English Proficiency Tests) obtained within the last 2 Years;
- Scanned Official Medical Statement (Official Diagnose) prepared by a certified physician.
Please pay close attention to a few important information below during the application process:
- We highly recommend that you collect as much information as you can about the universities and the preferred study program. Please note that, once you are enrolled, it is prohibited to change either the universities or your study program.
- Indonesian embassy’s letter of recommendation is necessary. The letter of recommendation will be given on the basis of the verification and required history and/or safety checks carried out by the Indonesian Embassy. You need to get the letter from any Indonesian embassy accredited to your country if you don’t have an Indonesian official representative in your region.
- All documents submitted must be published or properly translated into English.
- Participants from English speaking countries are not automatically disqualified from the obligation to attach their English proficiency to the written proof.
- The universities must perform a range of screening approaches like online interviews with the potential candidates (if required).
The online application process will be closed on April 20th, 2020.
Directorate General of Higher Education
Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Senayan, Jakarta 10270
Phone : +6221 57946063 / Fax: +6221 57946062
Email : email@example.com
Director of Public Diplomacy
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia
Jalan Taman Pejambon No. 6, Jakarta
Phone : +6221 3813480 / Fax : +6221 3858035