The Malaysia International Scholarship (Malaysian Government Scholarship) is an initiative by the Government of Malaysia to attract the excellent scholars from around the world to pursue higher educational aspirations in Malaysia. The scholarship intends to support Malaysian Government’s effort to engage, motivate and keep hold of competent human assets overseas.
Malaysian Government Scholarship invites brilliant international students with exceptional academic records and excellent extra curricular backgrounds to apply for the program and advance their studies in any selected and well-established Malaysian public and selected private universities at postgraduate level.
The Malaysian Government scholarship is open for graduates (full time Master’s/PhD) from the following countries to the September 2020 academic year:
- Brunei Darussalam
- Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
Successful candidates will benefit from the scholarship scheme in the forms of following list.
- This scholarship is limited to tuition fees and monthly living allowance of RM 1,500.00 per month.
- Successful applicants should independently arrange their travel to Malaysia (non-financial provisions). Government of Malaysia will not provide any travel expenses (airfare).
- All applicants are highly advised to check the expected living expenses in Malaysia.
In regards with the scholarship program, successful candidates must undertake full-time study for postgraduate at any Malaysian Public Universities. It is the responsibility of the scholars to confirm admission to the university. Next, scholars must not change their program during ownership of the scholarship except with written permission from the university and the Ministry of Education Malaysia.
On top of that, all the successful candidates must follow the approved programs and are abide by the university’s rules, regulations and codes of conduct. Any suspension from the university will result in immediate suspension of award. Monthly allowances are not payable during suspension. Furthermore, It is the responsibility of successful candidates to apply and meet the requirements for the issuing of an appropriate entry visa including medical examination. The offer of the scholarship does not guarantee the granting of a visa. Further information and application details are available at https://visa.educationmalaysia.gov.my.
Ultimately, the successful candidates must maintain satisfactory progress and good standing as stipulated by their host university or the scholarship will be terminated. The scholarships are justifiable in Malaysia Public Universities and research must be carried out in Malaysia.
Lastly, all successful candidates are also not allowed to take any paid employment during their tenure unless with written approval from the host university.
How to Apply
- All applicants make an application for the scholarship via https://biasiswa.moe.gov.my/INTER/index.php.
- All applicants are then obliged to upload the required documents via online application (scanned and save as in PDF format) to the official system.
- Application form;
- A certified copy of Passport as evidence of nationality (minimum of 6 month’s validity);
- A certified copy of Academic Transcript, including: 1) record of all the courses taken throughout the degree program must be reflected in the academic transcripts; 2) applicants must submit transcripts of their undergraduate studies; and 3) applicants must submit an official document issued by the applicants’ alma mater describing the university’s grade system. If an applicant’s transcript does not include information on CGPA, marks or score percentile. Documents must be certified.
- A certified copy of English Language Proficiency Test certificate;
- Letter of Recommendation from two (2) referees (e.g. lecturer, supervisor or immediate superior, etc.);
- Endorsement form;
- Admission letter from Malaysia University (if applicable);
- Curriculum Vitae; and
- Research Proposal
All applicants must adhere to the following requirements in order to apply under the program.
- All applicants are not more than 40 and 45 years of age for Master and PhD respectively by the application period.
- For Master’s degree, all applicants should obtain a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 at Bachelor Degree.
- For PhD all applicants should obtain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 or very good result at Master’s degree level in a similar field of selected PhD study.
- All applicants are required to prepare a valid proof of English Language Proficiency; thus, all applicants must provide scanned copy of the original proof of English Language Proficiency such as IELTS (total 6.5); or TOEFL (paper-based test with a minimum total score of 580 or computer-based test with a minimum total score of 230 or internet-based test with a minimum total score of 92); or applicants obtaining degrees with English as medium of instructions may also be accepted (evidence is a requirement).
- All applicants are compelled to submit a written proposal with minimum of 1,000 words that is relevant to the field of studies chosen.
Subsequently, applications will be reviewed according to the following selection criteria:
- High-level academic achievement
- The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well-being
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English language
List of Universities Covered in Malaysian Government Scholarship
Following is a list of universities that are part of a partnership program with the Malaysian Government Scholarship.
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM)
- Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM/IIUM)
- Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM)
- Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka (UTEM)
- Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)
- Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI)
- Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT)
- Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS)
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP)
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UNIMAP)
- Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UNISZA)
- Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia (UPNM)
- Universiti Malaysia Kelantan (UMK)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
- Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN)
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- International Centre For Education In Islamic Finance (INCEIF)
Fields of Study Offered
The following fields of study receive the priority of Malaysian Government scholarship’s benefit.
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Economics and Islamic Finance
- Environmental Studies
- Information and Communication Technology
- Infrastructure and Utility
- Science and Engineering
- Health (exceptions including clinical pharmacy, medicine and nursing)
Therefore, all applicants may choose any related course within the subjects of the study mentioned above.
Application for the Malaysian Government Scholarship ends at Sunday, March 15, 2020.
For further inquiries regarding the Malaysian Government Scholarship, you can leave the questions at the address stated below.
Ministry of Education Malaysia
Level 2, No 2, Tower 2
Jalan P5/6, Precinct 5
Phone: +603-8888 1639 (Hotline) / +603-8870 6370 / +603-8870 6403 (Malaysia time / Monday – Friday)
E-mail : email@example.com
Additionally, for any technical aid regarding the Malaysian Government Scholarship application form, submit your email along with the screenshot of the technical issue to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link to Official Website
Please visit https://biasiswa.moe.gov.my/INTER/index.php for further information or unannounced changes ahead of time.