Darmasiswa, an Indonesian Government Scholarship, is an educational fund aid proffered for all international students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia. The program itself invites excellent students to study Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian language), art and culture in 72 universities registered for the partnership for the academic year of 2020.
As part of ASEAN initiative in the field of educational development, the program was established in 1974. Formerly, it was only admitting students from ASEAN. However, in the year after, the program was extended further to openly welcome students from other countries as well.
Until to date, the number of countries participating in Indonesian Government Scholarship scheme is more than 185 countries. The Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC) of Republic of Indonesia is the legal authority in administering and organizing the program.
Hence, the main objective of DARMASISWA RI or Indonesian Government Scholarship scheme is to promote and increase the rate of interest of foreign students in the language, art and culture of Indonesia among youth of the other countries. The program has also been designed to provide stronger cultural links and understanding among the participating countries.
The scholarship granted to the participants conforms with the maximum a year of study program (according to each universities regulation). Thus, any participants who intend to terminate their term of study before the program in the university ends are only entitled to the allowance for the month, they are to leave for their origin country. Successful candidates of Indonesian Government Scholarship will receive their monthly allowance in the first week of each month.
Concerning the monthly stipend, students with an attendance of less than 75% in 1 month are penalized for
- 25% deduction of living cost benefits on first offense;
- 50% deduction from living cost benefits for the second offense;
- 75% deduction from living cost benefits for the third offense; and
- 100% deduction from living cost benefits for the fourth and subsequent violations.
Subsequently, all students will receive their monthly allowance providing that they remain in Indonesia during their academic period of study and academic holidays. Thus, the scholarship will be paid in 2 (two) stages, at the beginning of arrival and the second semester of the following year. The second stage of payment is paid after an evaluation of the number of active students in the second semester, and financial evaluation. The second stage of payment takes into account the balance of funds in the first phase, and the shortfall in semester 2 needs.
Ultimately, the Host Universities have to return funds if there are excess funds because there are participants who: resign, leave early, and do not meet the number of attendances per month.
The program will cover students needs as mentioned further in the list below.
- Students are entitled to get an education at selected higher education institutions which are in accordance with the learning guidelines standards set by the MoEC.
- The monthly stipend of the successful candidates are divided into 2 groups of area. Students appointed to study in the first area which includes DKI Jakarta, Batam, Bandung, Surabaya, Bali, Manado, Makassar, Samarinda & Ambon will receive Rp2,950,000.00 (US$215.91). For the second area including Aceh, Medan, Padang, Palembang, Lampung, Bogor, Purwokerto, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surakarta and Malang, the amount given is Rp2,550,000.00 (US$186.63).
- The program provides accommodation and transportation coverage fee during the Orientation Program for all the successful candidates only for the in time arrival with the schedule assigned.
- Students will get settlement allowance of Rp1,000,000.00 (US$73.22) if they attend the Orientation Program.
- Successful candidates also get health insurance services through BNI Life providers and BNI Life cards that are distributed to participants at the time of arrival orientation.
- The Host University and MoEC will support all successful candidates’ legal permit arrangement.
- Students may seek assistance from Host University in finding a house/room to rent which is covered by the montly stipend.
Eligibility of Indonesian Government Scholarship
- Students must have foreign nationalities.
- All applicants must have completed secondary education or its equivalent.
- Students should be minimum 18 years old and not older than 27 years of age in the period of application.
- All applicants should be able to communicate in English which are later proven by English Language Proficiency Certificate validated by either one of these institutions: TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS or others if applicable.
- Students are in good health (as proven by a Medical Certificate) and good conduct.
- Students are expected to possess basic knowledge of the field they are applying.
- The applicants previously have not received the Indonesian Government Scholarship, and are not currently studying or working in Indonesia.
How to Apply
Prospective students are required to register and submit all documents in Darmasiswa RI official website at http://apply.darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id. For students who are not in the student’s home country is not allowed to be registered through the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the participating countries (non-citizenship).
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- Medical Certificate
- Passport valid at least 24 months from the time of applying
- Recommendation Letter from Education Institution / Professional Institution on official letterhead and signature (in English)
- Last academic transcript and certificates (in English)
- Language certificate (if applicable)
- Other certificates that related to the field you’re applying (if applicable)
- Photo passport colour
- Writing essay about purpose of study (in English or Bahasa Indonesia maximum 500 words)
- The video shows full shot of body and has a maximum duration of 2 minutes to tell about the motivation to join the program and what will be done after the program, as an ambassador of Indonesian culture. (in English or Indonesian)
The application of Indonesian Government Scholarship is expired at March 2, 2020.
- Online registration: 2 January 2020 until 2 March 2020.
- Interview at related Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General: 4 March 2020 until 13 March 2020.
- Selection by the University (online): 15 March 2020 until 3 April 2020.
- Announcement: 20 April 2020.
- Attendance confirmation: 21 April 2020 until 30 April 2020.
- Final Announcement: 6 May 2020.
- Flight itinerary confirmation: 7 May 2020 until 1 August 2020.
- Arrival at Jakarta, Indonesia: 29 August 2020.
- Orientation program at Jakarta, Indonesia: 29 until 30 August 2020.
Should you have inquiries regarding the Indonesian Government Scholarship, please refer to the contact information below.
Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation
Ministry of Education and Culture
The Republic of Indonesia
C Building, 6th floor
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Senayan 10270 Jakarta
Link to Official Website
For further information, kindly check http://darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id.