Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, commonly referred to as APU, is a private institution located in southwest Japan in the city of Beppu. APU offers four-year bachelor degree programs in a unique multicultural learning environment. As an APU student, you will join a vibrant community that has a nearly one to one ratio of Japanese / domestic students to international students, who currently represent 80 countries / regions. All undergraduate programs at APU are conducted not only in Japanese but also in English, which allows for such a diverse group to study on the campus.
APU is aimed to contribute to freedom, peace, humanity international mutual understanding and the future shape of the Asia Pacific region by creating global leaders across all fields and industries. The University offers undergraduate studies in various fields of studies including, but not limited to, Asia Pacific studies, international management, and liberal arts such as media studies, language subjects, and Japanese traditional arts. It offers special lecture subjects, which are added to and may change every semester. Students select their own classes and are not restricted to classes in their majors. However, students can only choose classes in their respective curriculum according to their enrollment year, for the curriculum has undergone changes three times since the university was founded in 2000. Whereas undergraduate programs are conducted in two options – Japanese and English – the graduate programs at APU are conducted exclusively in English.
As there are many various study programs offered at APU, there are also many funding opportunities offered to both APU’s domestic and international students. Read on to see what the Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University scholarships are!
APU Tuition Reduction Scholarships
APU Tuition Reduction Scholarships are offered variously in percentages of 30%, 50%, 65%, 80% and 100%, and cover the least amount of academic credits needed to graduate within the standard period of time. These scholarships are made available by the financial contributions of domestic and international companies and individuals, together with the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), to support the ideals of APU, with the purpose of helping to reduce the financial burden for outstanding international students of lesser financial means.
Submissions for the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship are open at the time of application to APU. Eligible applicants for the scholarship are those who will obtain a Japanese status of residence (visa status) of student before enrolling at APU. The APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship will be revoked for those who are not able to receive a status of residence of student by the time of enrollment to APU. The scholarship will also be revoked if the student changes to a status of residence other than student while studying at APU.
Applications for the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship must be made online following the application guidelines.
Selections for the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship are based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, past academic performance, language ability, extracurricular activities, personal achievements, economic factors, application documents and interview. To strengthen your scholarship application, you are strongly recommended to submit official language test scores such as the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JPLT), Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC), International Language Testing System (IELTS), or EIKEN. Successful applicants will be notified for the reduction amount when they receive the application screening result by post and online.
Students awarded with these scholarships are expected to maintain a good academic record, serve as role models for other students, and complete all tasks assigned to them. The scholarship will be revoked for those who show inappropriate behavior unbefitting of a scholarship recipient. Academic performance and other criteria will be reviewed every semester to determine whether or not recipients qualify for renewal of the scholarship.
The 2020 tuition reduction scholarships for first year undergraduate students are categorized according to the percentages as below:
- 30% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 390,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 910,000 JPY of annual tuition to be borne by student.
- 50% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 650,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 650,000 JPY of annual tuition to be borne by student.
- 65% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 845,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 455,000 JPY of annual tuition to be borne by student.
- 80% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 1,040,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 260,000 JPY of annual tuition to be borne by student.
- 100% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 1,300,000 JPY per annum, leaving no annual tuition to be borne by student.
As for transfer undergraduate students, the 2020 tuition reduction scholarship amounts are as the following:
- 30% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 450,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 1,050,000 JPY of annual tuition fee to be borne by student.
- 50% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 750,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 750,000 JPY of annual tuition fee to be borne by student
- 65% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 975,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 525,000 JPY of annual tuition fee to be borne by student.
- 80% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 1,200,000 JPY per annum, leaving approximately 300,000 JPY of annual tuition fee to be borne by student.
- 100% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 1,500,000 JPY per annum, leaving no annual tuition fee to be borne by student.
APU Tuition Reduction Scholarships are also available to graduate students. With the tuition reduction scholarships, the amounts of 2020 annual tuition that should be borne by students are categorized according to the awarded scholarship percentages as the following.
- 30% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 1,050,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (Master’s and PhD), and approximately 1,400,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Management (MBA).
- 50% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 750,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (Master’s and PhD), and approximately 1,000,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Management (MBA).
- 65% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 525,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (Master’s and PhD), and approximately 700,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Management (MBA).
- 80% Tuition Reduction: Approximately 300,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (Master’s and PhD), and approximately 400,000 JPY for students in Graduate School of Management (MBA).
- 100% Tuition Reduction: This scholarship will cover full annual tuitions for both students in Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (Master’s and PhD) and Graduate School of Management (MBA).
Domestic Student Academic Incentive Scholarship
The Domestic Student Academic Incentive Scholarship is for students applying to APU who face severe hardship in pursuing their studies for financial reasons. Students may apply for the scholarship and receive their screening results prior to applying to APU. Students who are chosen to receive the scholarship and are admitted to APU can receive the scholarship after enrollment.
The amount awarded for each scholarship is equal to half of regular tuition fees. The scholarships are to be given to individuals to cover their tuition for a maximum of 4 years. Eligibility screenings will be performed each semester to determine whether or not the students deserve to have their scholarship continued for the next academic year and through to the end of the standard period for completion of their degree.
APU Scholarships for International Students
|Scholarship||Application deadline||Submission Location||Detailed information||Application form||Notes|
|Japan－China Friendship Association
Ariake Japan Scholarship
(Chinese Students Only)
|November 27, 2020
December 3, 2020
|Apply directly||Guidelines||Application form||New|
|NITORI Scholarship||November 1, 2020||Apply directly||Guidelines||Application form||New|
|ITO Foundation Scholarship||October 31, 2020||Apply directly||Guidelines||Application form||New|
|Japan-Taiwan Exchange Association Scholarship
(Taiwanese Students Only)
|October 30, 2020||Apply directly||Guidelines||Application form||New|
More information for international students, go to this page.
Scholarships Available After Enrollment
Besides the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarships and the Domestic Student Academic Incentive Scholarships, there are other various scholarships available to outstanding international students. Students can apply for these scholarships after they are admitted to APU. These scholarships are the courtesy of several individuals, domestic and international companies, municipal government, together with the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) to encourage self-motivated students with remarkable results in their activities. Some of the scholarships available after enrollment at APU are:
- ANDO Momofuku Award
- Canon Scholarship
- Daikin Industries, Ltd. Scholarship
- APU Academic Merit Scholarship
- APU Incentive Scholarship for Self-motivated Students
- APU Resident Assistant Scholarship
- The Japan Student Services Organization Scholarship
- Oita Prefectural Scholarship
- Beppu City Scholarship
- Japanese Government Scholarship Domestic Selection
- Mizuho International Foundation Scholarship
- Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship
- HOMEWIDE Scholarship
- KAWAGUCHI Shizuka Memorial Foundation Scholarship
- Akimoto Tatsunoko International Scholarship
- Kobayashi International Scholarship Foundation
APU students are eligible to receive a number of scholarships through organizations outside of APU. Each scholarship has different eligibility requirements and application procedures. For 2021 intake, students can apply for the following external scholarships:
- The Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (Sylff)
- MEXT Scholarship (Top Global University Project)
- MEXT University Recommendation (UR)
- Joint Japan / World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP)
- Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP)
- Nikkei Leader Scholarship
- Nikkei Scholarship
- MEXT Scholarship (Embassy Recommendation)
- African Development Bank – Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (AfDB-JADS)
- JASSO Scholarship
For more information regarding Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University scholarships, visit APU’s Cost and Scholarships web page for undergraduate programs or the Fees and Scholarships web page for graduate programs. Also, feel free to contact the Admissions Office for more details. Visit www.apu.ac.jp to learn more about APU.
10 thoughts on “Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) Scholarships”
I’m from somalia I need bachelor degree in medicine and surgery so can I get
This is Abdul Hamid, I am from Afghanistan, I need to improve my knowledge to master degree, in international relations, so can I get?
I am Gemechu Hebo Wabe from Ethiopia. I am highly interested in this scholarship and was graduated from mekelle university with Doctor of Veterinary medicine with CGPA of 3.76 .if it is your good will I want to do my Master of Veterinary science (MVSc)or master of science (MSc) please give me chance to study in related field of studies. Here is my Contact information for further
Phone number: +251935966227
Email address: sabonahebo92@ gmail.com
yes i want to learn
I Want Full Scholarship Free In Master Program
I want fullbright scholarship of your country
I am carla rapis from Phillippines. I am highly interested in this scholaship, im in highschool senior .if it is your good will i want to study through abroad, please give me chance to study .
i am FARHAN ALI BHATTI from Pakistan. I did Bachelor of Law from University Of The Punjab. Now I planned to do Master of Law on scholarship base can I get One, If yes kindly reply and assist me with the procedure, I hope to hear from you sonn, Kind Regards FARHAN ALI BHATTI
I am Huma Ghazal and my last semester is about to end in BS Zoology. I want this scholarship and dreamt of studying higher education in abroad countries.
Please give me details and a chance for it.
Comments are closed.