King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), which dominates the global research agenda, is at the frontline of innovation. It is committed to developing technology through the multidisciplinary model of research and education via science, technology and engineering.
In short, KAUST performs curiosity-driven and goal-oriented studies involving students, faculty, physicists, and engineers.
Furthermore, dreamed as the hub for cultivating tomorrow’s great minds, the institution is dedicated to finding answers to some of the world’s most challenging scientific and technological problems. Here, it is a community of people from over a hundred countries who have worked together to create a better society.
In addition to that, it is here that variety of thoughts and perspectives enriches life for study and development. This is the platform for academics and scientists to immerse themselves in their vision of science and turn it into a reality.
Through gathering together faculty members, professors, and graduate students from across disciplines, the academic divisions and research centers support the scientific mission of the institution.
Alongside to that, together they harness science and engineering interconnectedness to develop interdisciplinary approaches to basic and goal-oriented concerns.
The core laboratories of KAUST are highly managed, shared-user facilities which provide full access to sophisticated testing equipment run by qualified science and engineering specialist professionals.
Core laboratories collaborate with academics to work on projects, meet service requests and prepare users for autonomous operations.
KAUST research divisions are divided into several areas, including:
- Research in academic divisions
- Research centers
- Core labs and major facilities
- Faculty research area
About VSRP / KAUST Internship
The Visiting Student Research Program (VSRP) is a unique program that offers students the chance to conduct innovative research at KAUST.
With research opportunities that span the breadth of the scientific and engineering fields, driven students with insatiable curiosity and strong academic performance, can gain unparalleled opportunities to pursue their research questions under the guidance and support of KAUST faculty mentors.
Moreover, it is also an exciting opportunity for highly qualified students in their baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate studies to be engaged in research projects with KAUST faculty mentors.
Besides working alongside their faculty in world-class facilities, you will be part of a team collaborating and sharing ideas. Your contributions could lead to new knowledge that is published in high-impact journals or discoveries that help foster solutions.
KAUST international partnerships expand opportunities for students to join their faculty as research interns or as full-time students through structured programs. KAUST and their partners share a common goal to advance science and technology through collaborative research and education, while addressing challenges of national, regional and global significance.
All in all, their international partners are located in over 20 countries, with formal agreements that range from general MoUs, agreements for PhD Dual Degrees arrangements, visiting student research program agreements, and double-degree tracks through structured programs.
KAUST Internship Overview
The benefits of VSRP or KAUST internship are as follows:
- USD 1,000 of monthly stipend
- Private bedroom/bathroom
- Visa and airfare fees
- Health insurance
- Social and cultural activities
- Access to core laboratories and major research and community facilities
Apart from that, some important notes to know before applying for the KAUST internship can be seen in the list below.
- The length of the KAUST Internship ranges anywhere between 3- to 6-months, depending on the type of research. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Agreed upon with your faculty mentor
- Applications accepted year around
To be eligible for KAUST internship, all candidates must:
- Be third year and above Baccalaureate or Masters Students. Current PhD candidates, KAUST students or KAUST alumni are ineligible to apply
- Have GPA 3.5/4 or 14/20 (ECTS B)
- Possess strong verbal and written English skills, with the recommended levels are minimum TOELF score of 79 on the IBT (Internet Based Test) or 6.0 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Besides, all candidates are advised to provide their applications with the mandatory documents stated below.
- Official Transcript(s) in English from current and previous institutions
- Letter of Recommendation
- Valid Passport
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
How to Apply
To qualify for a candidate of KAUST Internship, all participants are obligated to follow these instructions.
- Visit the KAUST Internship official website at http://vsrp.kaust.edu.sa/internship.html.
- On the VSRP page, scroll to the menu section and select “APPLY”. You will be redirected to a new page that lists researches that you can apply for KAUST Internship in the academic year 2020-21. On the page is also a filtering feature to make it easier for you to find the faculty and division program that suits you, so use it well to filter the choices of research topics offered.
- After finding a research topic that interests you, you can click on “Read More” to read a thorough explanation of the research or “Apply Here” if you have carefully made your choice. You can only apply for one research project at a time. If a faculty member cannot accept you as an intern for non-academic reasons, KAUST Internship will contact you to identify other faculty members about your internship application.
- On the new page, you will be asked to complete the available application form. Fill in your personal details, application information, new username and password, then click “Submit Information“.
Prior to submitting your application you can save your progress and make changes at any time. Once your application has been submitted, you will not be able to make changes.
Therefore, it is important to check carefully all sections on the review screen prior to clicking “Submit”. Once an application has been submitted, only the VSRP team will be able to make changes.
However, you can withdraw your application at any time.
Then, once you submit your application, if all your paperwork and documents are in order, the process takes no longer than six weeks. The review process includes the following stages:
- Administrative review of your submitted application
- Faculty review of your application and interview (if necessary)
- Admissions interview
After you are accepted as a KAUST Internship, the team will work with you to process your visa for travel to Saudi Arabia. Throughout the process, the team will provide you with instructions and support on securing your visa for travel.
This process takes about one month to complete. Your flights to and from Jeddah will be reserved after this step is completed.
Closing Date for KAUST Internship
Application deadlines are generally 9-6 months before departure dates. Nevertheless, KAUST Internship is now open for applications for internships with a start date of July 1st or later.
Feel free to contact the KAUST Internship team at firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiries you have regarding the internship scheme.
2 thoughts on “KAUST Internship for Aspiring Researchers and Graduate Students”
i am Ethiopian Student this i became graduate fro Eachemo University, Hossana City Ethiopia
in Software engineering i want to start my Master is there is any possibility for m for scholarship
as you know my father is a farmer he is unable to proceed my master due to finance problem
if there is any possibilities for scholarship i can continue my study
i am waiting your positive responce
i am Etiopian student this year i became Graduate from Wachemo University, Hossana City Ethiopia
in Software engineering, i want to start my master is there is any possibilities for scholarship
Comments are closed.