Table of Contents
About Qatar University
Qatar University, established in the year 1977, Qatar University has been one of the nation’s primary leading institutions that promotes higher education. Today, it has become the pillar of academic and research progress within the nation. Dedicating itself to offering high-quality education, Qatar University has set out international standards and applied practices. Due to this, Qatar University has been up and running with its accreditation initiatives, which leads them to receiving many support from international institutions.
Qatar University is home to ten colleges. Each of theses colleges have their own respective programs and specializations to cater to the academic needs of their students. What’s more, as research plays a huge role within the environment of Qatar University, there are 14 research centers of excellence as well. Providing only top-notch education for their students, these ten colleges include:
- College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
- College of Business and Economics (CBE)
- College of Education (CED)
- College of Engineering (CENG)
- College of Health Sciences (CHS)
- College of Law (LAWC)
- College of Medicine (CMED)
- College of Pharmacy (CPH)
- College of Sharia and Islamic Studies (CSIS)
- College of Dental Medicine (CDM)
The university has major long-term plans to establish itself as a prominent figure withing Qatar’s economic and social development fields. These efforts are done through multiple collaborations and partnerships with plentiful of industries, government offices, academia, and leading businesses. However, the institution does also includes the engagement of communities as well, which is the heart of Qatar University’s mission and vision. With the aim of producing some of the best alumnae within the region, Qatar University prides itself in achieving academic excellence.
Types of Scholarships in Qatar University
Currently, there are three big scholarship categories that are set out by the Qatar University. Within each major category, they have their own list of scholarships made available to all students. Let’s take a look at some of these scholarships.
- Qatar University Scholarship
- This is offered by Qatar University to students who have been enrolled in the campus. They may be nominated by their respective embassies for apply by themselves at the university. This scholarship is only granted to citizens of the State of Qatar by Qatar University.
- H.H. the Emir of Qatar’s Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- This is granted by Qatar University to the top graduates coming from high schools who have achieved outstanding score averages in the Qatari Secondary Education Examinations. Only 25 males and 25 female students will be awarded annually.
- Outstanding Performance Scholarship
- This is given to currently enrolled and undergraduate students of Qatar University who have shown an impressive academic performance within their University courses
- GCC States Scholarships (Embassies)
- This is a set of scholarships granted by Qatar University to students who originate from GCC nations. They must hold at least a high school diploma or anything equivalent from their respective countries. For each GCC country, there is a set number of scholarships that are provided. These scholarships can be postponed to the following second term under the same academic year, but not the following year.
- GCC Qatari Certificate Scholarships
- This is a set of scholarships that are provided by Qatar University for students hailing from GCC nations and hold a Qatari High School Certificate.
- Children of Qatar University Employees Scholarships
- This is a set of scholarships that are granted by Qatar University to the children of the university’s entire staff. However, only three scholarships are provided for three children of working employees at the period. Students who wish to apply for this scholarship are required to give full detailed documentation about their employee parents.
- College of Education Diploma Scholarships
- Qatar University also offers several numbers of scholarship programs for enrolled students who plan on enrolling for Diploma programs instead. These scholarships are courtesy of the College of Education.
- Short Scholarships for the Arabic Program for Non-Native Program
- This is a special scholarship for future learners who are keen on studying the Arabic language. This scholarship is only intended for non-native speaker students from outside Qatar. The people who are behind this program are the Scholarships and International Admissions Section in coordination with the Arabic for Non-Native Speakers Program. Candidates who are planning to apply for this scholarship can apply by themselves personally or they can by nominated by an institution that has its own ties with Qatar University. As an extra note, this scholarship is only given after an agreement with the university and will be awarded by the President of Qatar University on a yearly basis. The duration for this scholarship is one academic year.
Successful candidates of any Qatar University-sponsored scholarship will be entitled to a variety of generous benefits. Some of these benefits include:
- Fully-expense paid college tuition throughout the entire period of their respective degrees.
- Full-paid cost of education materials such as textbooks, hand outs, research papers, and etc.
- Free accommodation provided by the Qatar University dormitories.
- An annual flight ticket from their respective home countries and back (this benefit is only granted for international students who do live in Qatar.)
However, with these benefits, scholarship recipients are to be held responsible for both their academic and non -academic progress. In addition, they will also be obliged to fulfill the requirements of the scholarship that they had applied for. Therefore, future scholarship candidates must be ready and super selective in applying for any of the provided the scholarships.
Should they fail to to fulfill any of the requirements, for example, dropping and courses or withdrawing from the period of their scholarship, not only will they be cut off from the benefits of their scholarships, but they will also be held accountable of their due penalties.
If you plan on applying for a scholarship, there are a few criteria that you will have to fulfill before you could be considered eligible to register for any of these provided scholarships. However, with each different scholarships, comes with different scholarship requirements. But one common criteria that needs to be fulfilled by all students who wish to apply for any of these scholarships is that they must be a first bachelor degree students and students who are planning to transfer from other universities to Qatar University. You will not be considered eligible for any scholarship if you are a non-degree applicant, a visiting student, or a student who is seeking a second bachelor’s degree.
There are several important dates you must take note of before applying to a Qatar University-sponsored scholarship. Please pay attention to these following dates. If you miss any of these dates, Qatar University will not be held responsible of the failure of your scholarship application process. The important dates are as follows:
- 11 October 2020: start of online admission application for international candidates, new candidates, and current Qatar University students.
- 11 October 2020: start of submitting the necessary scholarship documents for new candidates and current Qatar University students.
- 3 November 2020: end of online scholarship application for international applicants, new applicants, and current Qatar University students.
- November 2020: end of submitting the required scholarship documents for new applicants and current Qatar University students.
- December 2020: start of online exemption application for current Qatar University students.
- January 2021: end of online exemption application for current Qatar University students.
How to Apply
Keen on applying for one of these scholarships? Then you’re in luck! Here are two ways you can apply for a scholarship offered by the Qatar University.
Current Students of Qatar University
- Students who are already enrolled in Qatar University are encouraged to apply for a scholarship through their myQu portal accounts.
- Log into your accounts at my.qu.edu.qa by inserting your exisiting QUID and password.
- After logging in, click on the “myAcademics” tab.
- Find the “My Banner Quick Start Menu” channel and click on Home > Student Services.
- Finally, click on the “Apply for Scholarship” button.
- Once you have chosen the scholarship of your choice, click on “Submit”
For more information about the application process of enrolled students of Qatar University, you can click the available link here.
Newly-Enrolled Students of Qatar University
- If you are a new student of Qatar University, you can start your scholarship applications by accessing the Admission Application System.
- You will be required to create a New User account at the start of the application.
- Once you have created your account, you will be required to use the login ID and pin in order to access the system.
- After logging in, you will be shown a display page that shows 13 options. Click on option number 11, with the words “Scholarship Application”.
- Choose your preferred scholarship that you wish to apply. Click “Continue”.
For more information about the application process of new students of Qatar University, you can click the available link here.
So, are you finally ready to take the big risk? But ff you would like more information about obtaining one of these mentioned scholarships provided by the Qatar University, you can approach one of these contact information below:
- Address: Admissions and Registration Building, Qatar University, Ibn Khaldoon Hall, Doha, Qatar
- Phone Number (Women): (+974) 4403-3749
- Phone Number (Men): (+974) 4403-3748
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.qu.edu.qa/students/admission/scholarships