Scotland’s Saltire Scholarship is a program of educational aid funds offered by the Scottish Government in partnership with Scottish universities in the fields of creative industries, healthcare and medical sciences, renewable and clean energy, science and technology. This scholarship is a great opportunity to study abroad, especially in countries with worldwide-class universities with a long tradition of academic excellence.
The selected scholars are people who aspire to become influential leaders in their future careers. They have interests which include many things outside of their studies and a desire to expand their personal and academic experiences in Scotland.
The program proffers up to 50 rewards, each valued at £8,000, for the costs of tuition for any one year of a full time study at a Masters postgraduate course at any Scottish higher education institution. The schemes are open to citizens from Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Pakistan and the United States.
Saltire literate people will also have the golden opportunity to take part in a program of activities in and above their studies, including establishing dialogue with the academic and business community in Scotland. Candidates selected as Saltire Scholars will act as ambassadors not only for the Saltire Scholarships program itself, but also for Scotland.
Areas of Study
These scholarships are designed to promote publicization of Scotland as a great destination for academic learning and are targeted at priority sectors of:
- Creative industries
- Healthcare and medical sciences
- Renewable and clean energy
It also includes an extensive subjects across all universities and institutions of higher education than Scotland.
The following list is intended as a guide for priority areas of study. This list is not exclusive and applications from courses in broader subject areas will be carefully considered. Please inquire into your chosen institution first to see what course options will be covered.
The representative cases of subject areas offered include:
- Communications, Media and Culture
- Computer Games / Computer Arts
- New Media Studies
HEALTHCARE AND MEDICAL SCIENCES
- Health Sciences
- Physical and Life Sciences
RENEWABLE AND CLEAN ENERGY
- Biomass / Bio fuels
- Hydro / Solar / Tidal / Wind power
- Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Engineering
- Animals / Zoology
- Earth Sciences
- Plants / Botany
- Weather and Climate
Candidates who will become selected Saltire Scholars will be asked to:
- Actively participate in events from the extracurricular program. Scholars will contribute to a welcome reception and a year-end conference. However, the scholars may be exempted from attending the event in exceptional circumstances.
- With regard to legislation protecting relevant data, giving consent for the use of contact data of candidates to receive information about Saltire programs both during their studies and after graduation.
- Maintain a standard of conduct that will uphold the good reputation of the Saltire Scholarship Program and the institutions they will study.
- Support communications in activities that promote Scotland and Scottish higher education based on their individual experiences. This may include uploading on social media about the time and experience of candidates in Scotland, becoming available for a dialogue (including on camera) during either a welcoming or year-end event, granting the right of the Scottish Government and apposite universities to use unlimited records and text, agree that Scottish Government can use photography, blogs, any quotes in connection with the participation of the Saltire Scholarship candidates for marketing purposes.
To maintain the integrity of the Saltire Scholarships and its alumni network, Scottish Government may remove candidates from the program as an example where they do not adhere to the rules of the applicable program, or when their continued membership of participation might cause embarrassment or damage to Scotland’s reputation. From time to time, the higher education institution concerned will be able to recommend the Scottish Government about the removal of a candidate from the scholarship program he/she is following, for disciplinary or other issues which they consider to make improper participation of an individual in the scholarship.
To be eligible for a Saltire Scholarship, candidates must:
- Become a citizen of Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Pakistan and the United States.
- Demonstrate an interest in studying in Scotland and/or at a particular Scottish university.
- Manifest the eagerness to study and work earnestly in a global context and take a leadership position in the chosen career.
- Have a willingness and interpersonal and communication skills needed to take part in the program of activities that accompany the scholarships.
- Be able to signify that they are able to meet the living costs in Scotland and the remaining education costs.
- Have a conditional or non-conditional offer from a place at Scottish universities in an eligible course.
- Meet the requirements of the language course.
- Never have studied previously for a degree in Scotland.
- Never have received a Saltire Scholarship before.
Complete the application form and enter it according to the closing date on May 26, 2020.
How to Apply
Complete the application form online at www.scotland.org/study/saltire-scholarships/application-form. Candidates do not need to provide any other documentation with their application, but universities may ask for further documentation at a later date. The chosen university of the candidates will inform them immediately after the closing date.
- Keep being true to yourself in everything. In this connection, you do not need to try to compel yourself to answer questions with what you think the scholarship scheme would want you to say.
- Don’t be discouraged if you are still unsure about what career choices you will pursue or what degree you want to quest because Saltire Scholarships are open to everyone first and foremost for you with unique personalities and able to make an impact both at workplace or in the community concerned your study.
The application process for the Saltire Scholarship for the 2020/2021 academic year is currently open. The closing date is Tuesday, June 1 2020 at midnight GMT.
Email your questions about Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships via ScotlandsSaltireScholarships@gov.scot. Alternatively, you can contact the official scholarship contributor by post using the following details.
St Andrew’s House
Link to Official Website
Visit www.scotland.org/study/saltire-scholarships for further information regarding the financial aid.