The Government of Malta offers a wide range of various scholarship schemes to students and professionals who are citizens and/or permanent residents of Malta and other countries around the world. Out of the many scholarship schemes established by the Maltese government, there are currently seven active schemes.
In addition, Maltese institutions of higher education also offer a number of generous scholarships. The currently active and available scholarships in Malta include the following schemes:
Endeavour Scholarships Scheme
The Endeavour Scholarships Scheme was established to support good quality tertiary education and to ensure that the Maltese labor market is supplied with the right individuals and to guarantee that it is in a better position to compete at an international level. The Scheme is aimed to support those pursuing this path to succeed both at the level of education attainment as well as contributing effectively towards the economy.
Endeavour Scholarships are available for studies at MQF Level 7 that is up to not more than 3 years / 36 months duration. The value of scholarship will be based on the number of ECTS achieved. For study programs at MQF Level 7 undertaken in Malta, where the qualification is awarded by a recognized institution registered in Malta, the scholarship value is €58 per ECTS. For study programs at MQF Level 7 undertaken in other countries, where the qualification is awarded by a recognized foreign institution (excluding Malta) and Joint Programs of Study, the scholarship amount is €100 per ECTS. The Endeavour Scholarships Scheme Board may consider extension for completion of studies.
Learn more about the Endeavour Scholarships Scheme here.
Tertiary Education Scholarship Scheme (TESS)
The Tertiary Education Scholarship Scheme is intended to support good quality tertiary education at MQF Level 7 and MQF Level 8 and to seek contribution towards the Maltese labor market with the right skilled individuals. TESS is available for studies at MQF Level 7 that takes longer than 3 years / 36 months duration or to follow a program of study at MQF Level 8.
Awards are tenable at any local or international Recognizes Institution for a specific program of study or research. Only those institutions recognized by the NCFHE shall be taken into consideration by the Tertiary Education Scholarships Scheme Board.
The amount of scholarships vary for MQF Level 7 part-time / distance learning and fulltime mode as well as MQF Level 8 part-time / distance learning and full-time mode.
For more information, click here.
Malta Arts Scholarships
The Malta Arts Scholarships Scheme aims at providing more opportunities to support individuals who are exceptionally talented in the creation and/or promotion of professionals in the expressive arts. Theater, music, dance, design, creative writing, film, the visual arts or any combination thereof shall be given priority. These scholarships are available to students who are already enrolled in a program of studies at MQF Level 5, or MQF Level 6 or MQF Level 7, or MQF Level 8 but the end date of studies is in 2020 or after. In such case, the applicant is eligible for funding for the remaining years commencing from the date of publication of rankings. The program of study shall lead to a qualification and may (but not necessarily) lead to an Undergraduate Diploma, First Degree, a Joint Degree, or a Postgraduate qualification.
The value of these scholarships varies as the following:
- Training Programs (full-time, 24 calendar months): Tuition fees up to €5,000 for the whole duration of the program.
- MQF Level 5 / programs not leading to a first degree (full-time and part-time / distance learning, 24 calendar months): Tuition fees up to €5,000 for the whole duration of the program, and an addition of €400 a month as Maintenance Grant for full-time mode only.
- MQF Level 6 / Bachelors (full-time and part-time / distance learning, 48 calendar months): Tuition fees up to €20,000 for the whole duration of the program, and an addition of €400 a month as Maintenance Grant for full-time mode only.
- MQF Level 7 / Masters (full-time, 24 calendar months; part-time / distance learning, 36 calendar months): Tuition fees up to €10,000 for the whole duration of the program, and an addition of €400 a month as Maintenance Grant for full-time mode only.
- MQF Level 8 / PhD (full-time, 48 calendar months; part-time / distance learning, 84 calendar months): Tuition fees up to €20,000 for the whole duration of the program, and an addition of €400 a month as Maintenance Grant for full-time mode only.
Learn more about this scholarship scheme here.
Malta Financial Sector Scholarship Scheme
The Malta Financial Services Authority and the Ministry for Education and Employment has partnered up to provide short-term scholarships at advanced level aiming to address the existing skill gaps in Malta’s Financial Services Sector. The Sectors offered include: banking, financial institutions, insurance, insurance intermediaries, investment services, trust and trust management. Within these sectors, training is necessary in particular skills: compliance skills, fund administration skills, general regulatory requirements, technical skills in accounting, knowledge in legal aspects, communications skills, banking operations, analytical skills, IT skills, investment management skills, risk management skills, and actuarial skills.
For further details, visit the Financial Services Scholarships Scheme web page.
Malta Sport Scholarships Scheme
The Malta Sport scholarships Scheme (MSSS) aims at providing more opportunities to promote specialization in sport including certification I different sporting disciplines, among others, coaching, management and related support services which contribute towards the development of sport in Malta. These scholarships are intended to support individuals who are exceptionally committed in any field of sport to pursue programs leading to a specialized level in a selected sport discipline and to develop the required capacity in the administration and management of sports organizations.
The Malta Sport Scholarship Scheme is intended to target applicants faling under two main categories:
- Sport Specialization Category
- High performance athletes who intend to improve their level of skill and performance in their chosen field of sport
- Coaches who wish to specialize in coaching and training
- Sport officials and administrators who wish to specialize in the administration of sport organizations
- Academic or Vocational Qualification Category
- Sports Administration and Management
- Sport Psychology
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Science, Exercise and Health
- Sports Medicine
- Sports Law
- Physical Education
- Sports Industry / Business
MSSS shall support full-time programs of studies of up to a maximum duration of 48 calendar months. It shall also support part-time / distance learning programs of up to a maximum duration of 60 calendar months for MQF Level 5, 6, and 7 and up to 84 calendar months for MQF Level 8.
Click here to see further details.
Reach High Post-Doctoral Grants
Through this scheme, Malta aims to strengthen the research performance, through investment in post-doctoral research programs to increase the human capital supply that can effectively contribute towards R&I investment. The research project is expected to contribute towards Malta’s economic, social, environmental and cultural development as well as to realize the potential of individuals and to provide new career perspectives.
The total maximum grant awarded per research project shall not exceed €200,000 per research project. As a general rule the duration is up to a maximum of 3 years with the possibility of extending to four years.
The main areas of research that will be supported are:
- Science and Engineering
- Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Social, anthropological, cultural and behavioral sciences
- Energy and climate change, built environment, water and the blue economy
- Any other area which contribute towards Malta’s economic, social, environmental and cultural development and EU2020 strategy
For more information, click here.
Malta Scholarship for Doctoral Program European University Institute, Fiesole, Firenze
The Ministry for Education and Employment in Malta is funding scholarships for doctoral programs to be conducted by Maltese nationals to study on a full-time resident basis at the European University Institute in Fiesole, Florence.
The EUI offers well-structured doctoral programs with approximately 150 scholarships available annually. These scholarships cover tuition fees and provide a monthly grant. Scholarships are sought in the prospective candidate’s respective countries. Candidates of the scholarship are selected by EUI on the basis of their dissertation proposal and the nature of the research.
The benefits of these scholarships include the following:
- Monthly grant: €1,500 for a maximum of 3 years
- Children allowance: Included in the fixed monthly grant amount, no extra supplement
- Travel allowance: Included in the fixed monthly grant amount, no extra supplement
- Insurance allowance: Included in the fixed monthly grant amount, no extra supplement
To see further details on the scholarship, click here.
University of Malta Master by Research and PhD Programs Scholarships
The University of Malta (L-Universitá ta’ Malta) seeks to attract top quality students from countries outside the European Union / EEA for whom the University’s Master by research and PhD programs may be beyond their financial reach. Tuition fee waivers of up to 100% shall be awarded to deserving students. Bench fees for certain programs may still apply. The fee waiver will apply for the normal duration of the program being followed. If extensions of the period of study are required, these may not necessarily be eligible for a fee waiver.
Only applicants who have been accepted unconditionally to a Master by research or a PhD program on a full-time basis are eligible to apply. Professional doctorates and MBA-type programs are not eligible for this scholarship.
Learn more about the scholarship on the University of Malta website.