About the University of Twente
The University of Twente is a renowned Dutch public research university situated in the city of Enschede, in the nation of the Netherlands. With an extensive network of educational institutions, such as the Delft University of Technology, Eindhoven University of Technology, and not forgetting the Wageningen University and Research Centre, the University of Twente is paving its way to becoming the forefront of the nation’s academia.
Prioritizing knowledge, research, and valorization, all students of the university are expected to be brought up in an innovative environment where individuals don’t just focus one one specific field, but they must also be able to cross boundaries and developed multiple disciplines. With an out-of-the-box, intersectional method of doing things in the university, the University of Twente has high hopes that their graduates will not only be the best versions of themselves, but they are able to provide creative solutions to the world’s problems in generations to come.
About the University of Twente Scholarships
The University of Twente Scholarship programme, commonly shortened to the UTS programme, is a highly sought after scholarship that is catered to only the best and brightest minds of the world. Designed for students originating from both EU/EAA or non EU/EAA nations, the scholarship is only made available if you plan on admitting into the University of Twente for your upcoming Master’s degree.
Over the course of your two-year Master’s degree study program, all selected scholarship grantees will be eligible for a partial funding scheme that can not only be obtained during the first year of your programme, but also the following year as well. However, in order for candidates to continue taking up this scholarship during the entirety of their two academic years as a Master’s degree student, they will have to adhere to several rules.
All UTS grantees are expected to maintain an average grade of at leas 7 at the end of the third quartile of the first year, a minimum of 50% of European credits at the end of the third quartile of the first year, display potential to striving as one of the most promising students of the University of Twente, and must be able to partake in several academic opportunities, such as the main three honours programmes: Research honours, Design honours, or Change leaders.
Available Master Programmes
The University of Twente Scholarship programme caters to a list of available Master’s degree programmes provided by the University of Twente. Please take a look at each programme and choose which one fits your area of research or specialization. Before you can apply for the scholarship programme, all candidates must enroll themselves into the University of Twente be admitted into one of these programmes. It is until then they may be eligible to sign up for the scholarship. Please take a look at the following Master’s degree programmes and don’t forget to make your choice:
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business Administration
- Business Information Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Management
- Communication Studies
- Computer Science
- Construction Management and Engineering
- Educational Science and Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Embedded Systems
- Environmental and Energy Management
- European Studies
- Health Sciences
- Human Media Interaction
- Industrial Design Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Internet Science & Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society
- Public Administration
- Sustainable Energy Technology
- Systems and Control
The University of Twente Scholarship programme offers a generous sum of benefits for all selected candidates. However, it is highly advised that these partial funding are to be considered as a form of compensation for all of your study-related expenses as the tuition fees will be not be covered separately by the university on your behalf. However, ultimately it is up to the candidates on how they would like to use their scholarship funding. All grantees will be awarded with a partial funding of € 3,000 – € 25,000 for one year. It may not sound much, but considering the fact that the University of Twente Scholarship programme offers an estimated amount of 50 scholarships per year, it’s pretty generous if you put it in perspective.
All future candidates of the University of Twente Scholarship programme must adhere to a list of requirements that have been set out by the programme itself. All of these requirements must be met and the scholarship committee will take each qualification seriously. Should any candidate fail to meet any of these requirements, they will have their applications revoked. Therefore, please do a double check to make sure you’re eligible for the University of Twente Scholarship programme. The scholarship eligibility criteria are as follows:
- All candidates may originate from EU/EEA Countries or Non-EU/EEA countries.
- Future applicants must apply for a Master’s degree programme at the University of Twente beforehand. Once you have received an official letter of admission, you will then be able to apply for a UT scholarship, regardless of funding.
- Candidates must have been admitted into the one of the eligible Master’s degree programmes at the University of Twente for the academic year of 2020/2021 September. Please be noted that it may take up a long period of 8 weeks until you will be able to receive the results of your completed application.
- All candidates must have an existing student number that they will receive once they have applied and are admitted into the University of Twente.
- All candidates must not have obtained a previous undergraduate or graduate degree from the University of Twente.
- Everyone who is planning to apply for the scholarship must be able to earn a valid Visa in the Netherlands.
- Must have a proven fluency of both written and spoken English. Candidates may use their Academic IELTS score of at least 6.5 (TOEFL iBT of 90) as well as a 6.0 (TOEFL iBT 20) for their English speaking skills.
- You are not considered eligible for a Dutch study loan.
- All candidates must have an impressive academic track record. This can be done by striving for the top 5 to 10 percent of your class during your previous studies.
Important notice: Dutch nationals or current UT students are disallowed from applying for the University of Twente Scholarship programme. In addition, the Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation is not included as one of the available Master’s programmes for this scholarship.
How to Apply
In order to apply for the University of Twente Scholarship programme, there are a comprehensive list of steps that must be taken during the application procedure. These steps are long and rather tedious, so kindly take notes of the entire procedure. Failure to meet one of the steps will not be the programme’s responsibility.
As an additional note, before you can even apply for a University of Twente Scholarship, you will be required to apply for a Master’s programme at the university. After you have enrolled yourself into an eligible Master’s degree, complete with a formal admission letter, you can use your established student number to apply for the scholarship programme. So if you have yet to sign up for a Master’s degree, time to do it now while you still have time.
The University of Twente Scholarship application procedure are as follows:
- Start of Scholarship Application
- Confirmation of Scholarship Application
- Nomination or Rejection*
- Selection Committee
- Publication of Results*
- Accepted or Waiting List*
- Grant Award
- Start Study
Rejection from the scholarship applications can happen in three different ways during the entire procedure:
- You can have your scholarship application rejected during the confirmation phase of the procedure, where you will be assessed from your prepared requirements and qualifications alone.
- Your scholarship application may be dismissed by the Selection Committee, resulting in automatic rejection.
- You might be rejected from the scholarship if you are put in the Waiting List. The Waiting List is a 50:50 area where you’ll be considered as second options for the scholarship spot.
Are you all prepared and geared up to sign up for the University of Twente Scholarship programme? Now that you have your application forms set and all the necessary documents under one attachment, its time to pay attention to these important dates. Please be noted that applications for the University of Twente Scholarship programme will be held twice during each academic year, but both of them are for programmes that begin on September 2020. Therefore, you’ll have two opportunities to sign up for this scholarship. The First Round of the application will open on the 15th of October 2019, at exactly 09.00 CET – the deadline itself will be on the 1st of February 2020, 16.00 CET. On the other hand, the Second Round of the application will open on the 1st of February 2020, 16.00 CET – the deadline itself will be on the 1st of May 2020, 16.00 CET.
Need more information about the University of Twente Scholarship programme? Don’t worry, we have all the contact information for you. Pick up your phone or send an email to the University of Twente and ask them all the questions that you need the answers to. Make sure that you have all the details you need so that you’ll have a smooth and successful scholarship application journey. Last but not least, always give you 100%. Happy applying, future scholars of the world!
Visiting Address: University of Twente, Drienerlolaan 5, 7522 Nb Enschede, The Netherlands
Phone Number: (+31) 53 489 9111
Official Website: https://www.utwente.nl/en/education/scholarship-finder/university-of-twente-scholarship/